Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Guess he is forgotten

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Guess he is forgotten

Postby REt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:52 pm

JFK 57 years ago. I remember it well.
Ret
REt

Re: Guess he is forgotten

Postby Bkeepr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:32 pm

I remember it well, too. Maybe the "me too" movement decided he's not quite "the thing" anymore...
Bkeepr

Postby littleguns » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:40 pm

I, too, noticed the media pretty much ignored the anniversary of JFK's death. Pretty sad.
littleguns

Postby positronium » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 pm

littleguns wrote:I, too, noticed the media pretty much ignored the anniversary of JFK's death. Pretty sad.
A shame....
positronium

Postby REt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Pulled up some Dallas newspapers and not a thing in any of them.
Ret
REt

Postby littleguns » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:17 pm

As time passes, long-ago events mean less and less to younger journalists. Not the same as a presidential assassination, of course, but I remember a couple of years ago on the 50th anniversary of the death of Buddy Holly and a couple of other stars that there was almost no mention of an event so significant to an entire generation. It was almost as if the attitude was, "Uh, Buddy who?" And I have to wonder, as a journalist who was handling the front page and national news for a couple of dailies in my 20s and early 30s, how many events did I ignore that were highly newsworthy to earlier generations?
littleguns

Postby REt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:42 pm

Do you think there are any true journalists still out there? A bunch of yes men and women who have to kowtow to the millionaires who own these stations. I pretty much know what I am gonna hear if cnn is on or NbC or fox.
Ret
REt

Postby littleguns » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:06 pm

REt wrote:Do you think there are any true journalists still out there? A bunch of yes men and women who have to kowtow to the millionaires who own these stations. I pretty much know what I am gonna hear if cnn is on or NbC or fox.
Ret

The ones we see in the mainstream media, including the big cable channels, aren't journalists as I knew them. Joseph Pulitzer said the three basic rules of good journalism are accuracy, accuracy, accuracy. Today, accuracy often takes a back seat to sensationalism, editorializing and lopsided promotion of a particular point of view. When I taught journalism (which I did for 31 years at a state university) I forbade students from using loaded or unverifiable opinion words such as claims, hopes, thinks, feels, luckily, amazing, awesome, sadly, unfortunately, etc., etc., unless such words were in a direct quote with context. If I were still teaching today, I'd feel overwhelmed by the biased messages that bombard students from all corners of media, from little local TV stations up to the largest newspapers and broadcast outlets. I feel as left behind as a blacksmith in the age of automobiles. :cry:
littleguns

Postby smugpug » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:02 am

In the rush to fundamentally transform Society, history is not important to the Transformers and the young people they are trying to transform
smugpug

Postby Lightening Bug » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:34 pm

The media mainly focuses on the the here and now. Their news coverage is mediocre. I find going to news for a topic is much more complete. When I go to Science and medical news it is much more about current info.

There is no way I will ever forget JFK. He was a breath of fresh air.

Wish there was someone more like him running for office. Forget party politics, select and vote for the qualified candidate.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby Coffee » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:01 am

The way I see it, Inauguration Day is 1-20-2021. Who is going to be around after that day? CNN, MSNBC. The golfer-in-chief will be doing his thing, as a private person. It is obvious to me why. Average guy Coffee.
Coffee

Return to General Discussion