Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Looking at the garden catalog

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Looking at the garden catalog

Postby Coffee » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:04 am

Jung's Seeds and Plants arrived recently. I'm looking, not ordering just yet. The spirea looks interesting. I don't have any spirea, but remember my grandparent's spirea and what a unique fragrance it had. They planted it in a row along their sandy driveway. Might order a couple more Orange Perfection phlox. That has a salmon color. I'd plant it where deer can't eat it. Might order Mortgage Lifter tomato seeds and a tomato called "42 Days." The 42 Days tomato is supposed to produce tomatoes in 42 days, and have flavor to boot. I've never tried that variety before. Then I'll probably get a seed packet of Thelma Sanders' Sweet Potato winter squash. It's about the size of an acorn squash, tastes good, and grows reliably here. My dog is restless and I'm on break from shoveling snow, about 3 inches of new snow. Good day 8-) Lassie is picking up a tennis ball and dropping it on the floor, sort of an annoying invite to play.
Coffee

Re: Looking at the garden catalog

Postby Alias » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:36 am

Yeah Coffee, it's time for the seed catalogs to arrive. I haven't yet received any but any day now I expect them to start coming. They are good to mull over when the snow blows and the temperature drops. In that regard, they are a perfect escape from all of today's onslaught of social and P0!itical news.

Now, about your dog Lassie, he reminds me of our neighbor's little bench legged terror. His name is Russell, But, he's not a Jack Russell breed. He loves to visit our house for doggy treats. He even has his own food and water bowls here. And, on top of that he has his very own toy box with about 8 or 10 doggy toys. His favorite is a little square squeeze pillow which is about 4 inches square. Which, he loves to place near my feet and, then, he'll pick a fight with me to see if he can retrieve it before I can place my foot on it...............gfp
Alias

Postby mowmud » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:27 am

You are getting your share of the weather out there, ain't ya? Even when the power goes out, you can still play with the hound and have good reading material right on the table. I don't usually plan my garden, or even start thinking about until about April.

A 42 day tomato? Have never heard of them. I'll have to do some research. Meantime, Ma is bellowing again, I must of walked to far away. I guess I'll go change another diaper. She has put a big damper on my spirit.
mowmud

Postby Bamabear » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 pm

I always order from Baker Creek, love those seeds.. lots of old time plants , corn maters and stuff...
Bamabear

Postby Coffee » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Thank you for the replies, Alias, mowmud and Bamabear. I've noticed the last couple years that 80 day tomatoes get close to the end of August, and all the tomatoes are still green. That's why I'd be interested in a "42 Day" tomato.
Coffee

Postby smugpug » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:48 pm

Totally Tomatoes, Vermont bean seed company oh, territorial Seed Company, Baker Creek Seed Company, E & R seed company, Seeds n Such company, are a few I like.
smugpug

Postby Coffee » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Yes, Territorial has a wonderful, thick catalog. I don't know how many varieties of kale they offer, but its a lot. They may have taken my name off their mailing list because I haven't ordered from them for a while. Baker Creek I'm just not familiar with. Totally Tomatoes and Vermont Bean Seed ought to be arriving any day now.
Coffee

Postby Bkeepr » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:59 am

We order a few items from many of the catalogs you mentioned, plus one more: Southern Exposure Seed Exchange...they carry a lot of older tried and true varieties...our favorite corn comes from them, we use it for corn meal for baking the best corn bread.

I guess I must be a pretty good (or stupid!) seed customer, because I start getting the next year's catalogs from most places immediately after Thanksgiving! Been thumbing through them already over the holidays. Good stuff...I'm not ready to order yet, but am getting close.
Bkeepr

Postby nadx » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:01 am

AFTER SUCH A HORRID YEAR LOSING DAD AND FATHER IN LAW I VOW TO HAVE A KICK BUT GARDEN THIS YEAR
nadx

Return to General Discussion