Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Dealing with funeral home

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Dealing with funeral home

Postby nadx » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:45 am

We typed up a good obituary, funeral home guy retyped it , and utterly destroyed what we wrote. Typos, tons of omitted info

Wow ,

After trying futilely to have them fix things we just went ahead
And sent the newspaper our text which is what we should have done in the first place
nadx

Re: Dealing with funeral home

Postby nadx » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:45 am

I have been dealing with this all morning....im so irritated lol
nadx

Postby nadx » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:47 am

Like an obituary must be the easiest thing to do for a funeral home. Also found out their caskets for pa in law were so expensive compared to the funeral home we used for my dad just 2 weeks ago
nadx

Postby Bamabear » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:31 am

I told my Granddaughter to have me cremated, save so much money, Can you still have funerals, here mostly grave side services because of Covid....
Bamabear

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:11 am

My mother told me 2-3 years ago that she had already made the arrangements at the funeral home for herself, and paid the bill.

She told me she will be cremated. I guess she told me then to give me plenty of time to get used to the idea. I really wasn't thrilled at first, because the funeral is to comfort the living, not the deceased...but as they say "it's her funeral."

The paperwork is in her filing cabinet-- born and raised in Germany, Mom's incredibly organized.
Bkeepr

Postby Bamabear » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:22 am

Just think , and I am not being mean saying this, Funerals are so over rated, costly, they know how you are feeling, grieving, upset, that's how they make their money, charging so much to put you in a hole in the ground, preserving what is not meant to be preserved, you go or you are supposed to go back to the earth, dust to dust... look what happens to animals that die , specially if they are ran over, they are their one day ,maybe 2 more days they are gone, I think we are meant to be that way. I hope I don't sound crass, I miss my family, but I don't see the point in going back to a cemetery all the time to visit the dead, I just remember them, I think of that verse, where the disciples were looking up in the sky , looking for Yahusha , and someone asked them why are you searching the sky, looking for him , go out in the world and teach, something like that, they are not in that grave, they have moved on, well the spirit has. sorry if I sound terrible, but this is the way I think, Funeral Homes, take advantage of the living...
Bamabear

Postby Alias » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:02 pm

Many years ago my wife and I decided to donate our bodies to the local anatomy board. So, when our time comes the board will send a dignified hearse to cart our remains away. What happens after that will be unknown to us. Eventually, an urn with ashes will be given to our kids. Whose ashes? Who knows? For, It's a little hard for me to believe they will fire up the furnace just for one or two bodies. But, I don't care because my soul will be long gone by the time they strike the match.

Of course, my family will arrange a nice memorial service for each of us.

We decided on this plan of action for some very good reasons. The first has to do with the enormous cost associated with funerals. So, we both agreed that amount would be put to better use for our great grandkids. The second, and most important reason had to do with sparing our children with the heart breaking ordeal of seeing our bodies lying in a coffin...........gfp
Alias

Postby nadx » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:53 pm

agree, im being cremated too, save a lot of $$ for my heirs,
i asked my wife she said she didnt know what she wanted
(i assume she is not liking the idear of being cremated, even if it will leave more money for those left behind).

funeral homes are a sham IMO

my wife said her mom couldnt bear to "burn her dad's body"
so she spent $10,000 on a casket

good lord that is crazy to me
that casket will never be seen again in this lifetime
nadx

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:16 am

Good funerals comfort the living, and are not for the dead.

Let your heirs know you think it is ok for you to be cremated, and so give them permission to save money, but don't dictate...let them decide. It really isn't your funeral, it is theirs for you.
Bkeepr

Postby littleguns » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:30 am

nadx wrote:My wife said her mom couldnt bear to "burn her dad's body"
so she spent $10,000 on a casket

good lord that is crazy to me
that casket will never be seen again in this lifetime

When my younger brother died in a car crash at age 30 (back in 1982), my parents spent as much on his casket as the price of a mid-range Buick at the time. When my father died in 2003, my mother again spent about the price of a mid-range Buick on his casket. And before she died a few years ago, she insisted she have a casket that matched my father's -- again mid-range Buick.

For me, it will be cremation. I won't say more about burial vs. cremation in this particular thread, out of respect to all viewpoints. Maybe a discussion for another day when fresh losses aren't involved.
littleguns

Postby smugpug » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:48 pm

I believe more and more that this is another scam. When I had Windows put in my house 10 years ago, it cost me a ton of money. Class, vinyl, insulation, are all cheap materials. But they know that this is the only time they are probably going to get you to put Windows in your house and they make it seem like it's impossible to do on your own oh, so they just jack up the prices and take advantage of people. That's what I see what funeral homes oh, you're only going to utilize them one time in your life oh, they take advantage of you. It is a rip off
smugpug

Postby nadx » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:33 pm

i will say , overall the funeral home did provide a nice service - though it was VERTY expensive, part of it i understand, part i think is a sham
nadx

Return to General Discussion