Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

what do you keep your temp set to for the winter?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

what do you keep your temp set to for the winter?

Postby nadx » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:37 pm

was at ma's tonight

80 degrees
i was sweating!

we keep ours at 70!

you?
nadx

Re: what do you keep your temp set to for the winter?

Postby mowmud » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:56 am

We maintain 71* or 72* upstairs. Propane is nice, just expensive. It kicks in when the woodstove burns down.
Downstairs, next to the woodstove, about 85* +, downstairs where I try to stay, the 'ManCave', fluctuates between 64* when the stove needs stoking, to about 78*, which is a bit warm. I prefer 75*. If I get a chill, I just stroll over next to the wood stove.
It hasn't really got cold yet this season. Its easier to keep an even temperature when it gets colder out.
mowmud

Postby Salmoneye » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:43 am

74º on the Toyostove Kero Heater...

Woodstove does what the woodstove does...
Salmoneye

Location: The Spooky House At The End Of The Lane With Grass Growing Down The Middle

Postby Bkeepr » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:50 am

68 for the house overall, but we warm the room we’re sitting in with kerosene to around 72 or so. When it gets really cold outside, though, I shut down the heat pump and turn on the old steam furnace and set it to 70 cuz it works best around there.
Bkeepr

Postby Red Dave » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:22 am

My Mother would keep her house at 80 Degrees. Drove us kids crazy for years. When I lived at home I would turn the thermostat down when she wasn't looking. She grew up in south Florida and never really go used to colder weather, but as she got older, she would keep her house so hot it would take your breath away to walk inside. She spent more to heat her small, 800 sq ft house than we did to 2000+ sq ft with 3 kids.

We keep our house at 68 or 69.
Red Dave

Postby Alias » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:31 am

When first we fire up the furnace in fall our bodies are accustomed to around 80° which, is where we usually have the air conditioner. But, as we acclimate to the cold, we gradually reduce the thermostat to about 73° during the day and 70°at night.

What I have found is, as we age we need more heat. And, that's a far cry from when I was young when I thought nothing of going out during a bitter snow storm wearing only short pants and a "T" shirt.
Alias

Postby REt » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:49 am

At least 77 during the day. When you guys get some years on you then you might find that more heat is needed. Having a lot of medical issues doesn't help either.
Ret
REt

Postby Bamabear » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:07 am

67-68 off during the day, mostly
Bamabear

Postby littleguns » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:13 am

South-central Minnesota, story-and-a-half house with a couple of additions, fairly decent insulation. We have a fairly new (2015) high-efficiency propane furnace, contract for a winter's worth of LP at $1.05 (cheapest it's been for years). Being frugal (i.e., cheap), I like to keep the house at 68 degrees -- set the thermostat in the fall and don't change it until time for AC in late spring. My wife would like it a bit warmer, I'd keep it a bit cooler, so we compromise. (When she was teaching in the Yakima Valley the past four winters I would keep the house at 64 to 66; she's teaching online this winter, and so I don't get to keep things quite as cool.)
littleguns

Postby Bamabear » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 am

I have got to wearing a sweater inside, bundle up if I am cold...
Bamabear

Postby littleguns » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:20 am

Bamabear wrote:I have got to wearing a sweater inside, bundle up if I am cold...

I hear ya. For me it's sweat pants, T-shirt, flannel shirt, once in a while a hoody on top of it all. Always a lap blanket when sitting in my recliner. One thing that has really helped is having put in new windows a few years ago. They have gotten rid of the drafts that came with the original windows in the house (which was built, I'm told, in 1939). New windows are probably the best home-improvement money I ever spent. Doing the job myself kept the cost quite reasonable.
littleguns

Postby mowmud » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:23 pm

Heck yeah. Old house like that , windows would probably be the first step. A very good first step.

I get cold in the summertime when the A/C isn't even on. It stays cool in my half valley. If I go outside and go about my ways, sometimes I get too hot.
If I didn't have to worry about my Ma, I'd find a creek to go jump in. Everything is warm after that.

Littleguns, it makes me feel good to read that you installed them yourself.
mowmud

Postby Bamabear » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:34 am

I live in a mobile home, the first thing I did was to put those vinyl windows in. The guy that put them in installed them like you would put them in a house. most smartest thing I did, you could really tell the difference, and got a new metal roof put on....
Bamabear

Postby littleguns » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:15 am

mowmud wrote:Heck yeah. Old house like that , windows would probably be the first step. A very good first step.
Littleguns, it makes me feel good to read that you installed them yourself.

As I've said on lots of topics, I'm too cheap to hire things done that I can do myself. I replaced a total of seven windows (five up and two down), and have several other new ones in additions I've put on the house. I still have two original windows in the house, but they're in pretty good shape.

The replacement windows were the kind you can install from the inside by carefully measuring and custom ordering; that saves having to mess with siding and outside trim -- easy job, for the most part. I used single-hungs upstairs and double-hungs downstairs (although I never use the double-hung feature -- it's just what the originals were). The new ones, of course, have the gas-filled shielded double panes to make them more energy efficient.
littleguns

Postby nadx » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:05 am

I told ma, stay at 80 if it keeps you happy and i meant it!
nadx

Next

Return to General Discussion