Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

pets inside or banned to the outside

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

pets inside or banned to the outside

Postby nadx » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:39 pm

im really sorry
but i do not allow pets inside

i allow cats to stay in the garage
and dog has been in the garage all week since it is really cold and snowy and icy

but typically he is an outside pet

just curious, i assume i may be the only person that doesn't allow pets to stay inside?
nadx

Re: pets inside or banned to the outside

Postby mowmud » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:30 am

My dog, old English Sheep dog, had bad timing on his haircuts this past season. He is shaved down now. He is easy to keep clean and the mud is frozen so he don't get dirty easily. I've built an add on right next to my bed with his own cushions so he essentially sleeps wherever I do. He don't get that luxury when his hair is long.

The cat, yup, an insider too. His outside door is closed for the season. He has to wait for a human to open and close doors for him. He sleeps wherever he wants. Flea season is gone so I don't worry about it too much. I keep the door to Moms room closed or else he would be right up on her chest. Thats where I draw the line. Never can tell where that cat is gonna be. Even if he gets caught outdoors after everybody is asleep, he can go to the back deck where he is out of the wind and has a temporary bed to get him up off the floor.

Each of my critters are silly in their own way. Ceaser the dog and Oreo the cat. They get along better than any other cat and dog that I've ever seen.
mowmud

Postby Bkeepr » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:44 am

Only the mule is an outside critter here, all 6 (as of this moment) dogs and cats have space inside the home with us. I am sure your house is cleaner than ours, but nobody has a home happier. Dogs and cats are family who are, in many ways, better than most humans.
Bkeepr

Postby Pitch1 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:17 am

Once again, I am going to be an azzhole. Take the dog and give it to someone who will treat it properly. You do not have a pet, you keep an animal.
Dogs are pack animals and they need constant companionship. To sentence one to a life alone on a chain in the backyard is nothing less than cruelty.
Why do you even own one when you obviously do not care about it?
When I was a kid the hunting dogs lived outside, but not alone.
What is your objection to the dog in the house? A dog is not that much of a problem to keep clean and odor free.

Please look at yourself and consider what is really fair for the dog.
Pitch1

Postby kyle18 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:29 am

AMEN PITCH1 - i can`t even believe he treats the dog like he was a criminal - give someone the dog who cares
kyle18

Postby Bamabear » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:08 am

trixie is inside, she is little
Bamabear

Postby Randy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:32 am

Our Mastiff is inside unless she goes out to eat the snow or stand and count the rain drops!
A couple barn cats live next door. Some stay for years before disappearing.
One comes over to our door a couple times a day to get fed and a drink of milk.
I also put out a bowl of food in the barn in the morning and check it in the afternoon to make sure they have enough for dinner.
We've also made several beds for them to crawl in.
Randy

Postby nadx » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:59 pm

Pitch1 wrote:Once again, I am going to be an azzhole. Take the dog and give it to someone who will treat it properly. You do not have a pet, you keep an animal.
Dogs are pack animals and they need constant companionship. To sentence one to a life alone on a chain in the backyard is nothing less than cruelty.
Why do you even own one when you obviously do not care about it?
When I was a kid the hunting dogs lived outside, but not alone.
What is your objection to the dog in the house? A dog is not that much of a problem to keep clean and odor free.

Please look at yourself and consider what is really fair for the dog.

to clarify dog is not on a chain, rather in a good sized pen, with a nice dog house, though i doubt that would change your reply.
nadx

Postby mowmud » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:02 am

My dog goes about 105. He got off of 'his' side the bed and sprawled on mine. He set a foot down in the middle of my chest that made me think about death as a release again. Oh, it hurt, he stepped right on top of me. I'm not gonna let anything wear my down to the point that I ain't ready for it. I ain't gonna hold it against the doggo, because this is the way he was brought up.
My dogs hole is already dug, he knows where's it at ... its up to him how long he stays out of it. If he lasts longer than me... he better help dig my hole. I don't foresee myself needing one of those though.

I have donated my body to science. Just like my father in law. I don't care what they do with my carcass as long as there is something to be learned. That is if they can find my carcass. I know plenty of of the places where I wouldn't be found for years... maybe longer.

I'm tired of this life. There seems to be no way to correct it. They find it... they can have it.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:04 am

Put some straw in the hound house. Stuff it, let your doggo decide whats warm.
mowmud

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 am

nadx wrote:...to clarify dog is not on a chain, rather in a good sized pen, with a nice dog house, though i doubt that would change your reply.

That's about like saying "the prisoner has a very nice cell..."

I'm not sure what you think the dog did wrong, but unless a "good sized pen" is a few acres in size with other companionship, that's not a good life for a dog.
Bkeepr

Postby smugpug » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:56 pm

My dogs are all small house dogs so they stay inside. But when I've had bigger dogs, they were also house dogs. A long time ago I had a dog outside that had a dog house, and one day and ran off in the winter and never came back. I learned my lesson. There is a stray cat that is living on my hay in the barn, and the cows seem a little too big to come in, but they do have barn shelter to get out of the wind, rain, and snow if they choose. There are some breeds of dogs that love the cold weather oh, and would prefer to be in it, or at least in a garage. Hopefully they get lots of attention, but sadly many do not power just like old people
smugpug

Postby mowmud » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:26 am

My dogs hair gets long, when it gets real long, he sleeps on the rug. When it gets cold, he likes to sleep on the concrete... he does it when its hot too. He lays down right in front of the main entry door. Living draft stop. Hot or cold, he stops the drafts.

As I've said earlier, I wouldn't expect my pets to sleep anyplace I wouldn't. They know better to keep out of my bed though. They will be sleeping outside.
mowmud

Postby littleguns » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:34 pm

Here's a question to further enliven the indoors vs. outdoors pet controversy; I'll say upfront I don't have one simple answer.

So -- what about dogs that spend nine hours or more, five days a week, alone in a "crate" while their owners (or masters, or human companions or whatever we call them) are at work, or hours more crated on the weekend when their "humans" are out with friends, going to church, shopping, etc.? Is being in a few-square-feet wire cage preferable to an outside kennel with a doghouse, room to poop, etc.?

I would guess that dogs, like humans, have a whole range of feelings about such situations -- some folks love big-city apartment life with other people swarming around, others would go nuts quite quickly if they didn't have open country space in which to move freely in fresh air with a degree of privacy. I won't pretend to think like a dog and so won't pretend to have the answer. But it does seem like a topic worth considering when folks on one side argue that keeping a dog in an outdoors kennel is akin to locking an innocent human prisoner in a cell, while folks on the other side might consider it even more cell-like to leave a dog locked alone in a small inside cage for 40 or more hours a week.

(Hey, don't flame me for raising the crate vs. kennel question :) . I'm just curious to hear your views.)
littleguns

Postby Bamabear » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:37 pm

To me, if you have to chain, or keep a dog penned up, no need to have one, JMO
Bamabear

Return to General Discussion