Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

saw on the news (not political really)

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

saw on the news (not political really)

Postby nadx » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:29 pm

CDL delivery drivers wanted......

saw on the news this morning when they were listing jobs in the city that are hiring that this is a big one....

why the high demand?

because no one can pass a drug test

lol

and the pay is pretty good in some instances
nadx

Re: saw on the news (not political really)

Postby Red Dave » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:07 pm

It's not just CDL drivers. Whenever we tried to hire temporary laborers we required that they pass a drug screen. Had to deliver bad news quite a few times.

I never understood why some of them bothered to apply, we made sure that everybody knew it was required up front.

After I retired from there, I worked temporarily for a project contractor that hired construction workers out of the union hall. Same thing, they all got a drug test, but many didn't pass. And they knew it was coming. We just sent them home, I assume they just kept trying to get on at other places until they found one that didn't test.
Red Dave

Postby Bkeepr » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:49 am

Red Dave wrote:...I never understood why some of them bothered to apply, we made sure that everybody knew it was required up front...

Are not some government benefits dependent on the person be actively seeking a job? That's the answer: as long as they're applying, even if unqualified, then they meet the criteria and keep drawing a gov't check...
Bkeepr

Postby lamar fudd1 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:29 am

Bkeepr, yes, it is. I think it would be a good idea tto make any unemployment benefit dependent upon passing a drug test. Company I worked for began random drug testing and one of our skilled employees said 'no way-it's violating my rights'. So, he stormed out of the office yelling 'I quit! I'm getting a lawyer'. Never heard from him again.
lamar fudd1

Postby littleguns » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:13 am

Bkeepr wrote:
Red Dave wrote:...I never understood why some of them bothered to apply, we made sure that everybody knew it was required up front...

Are not some government benefits dependent on the person be actively seeking a job? That's the answer: as long as they're applying, even if unqualified, then they meet the criteria and keep drawing a gov't check...

In my previous life in the newsroom, when I was finished with the front page for all three editions, I would put in some time handling the business pages. I recall many instances in which employers would marvel at the totally unqualified people who applied for jobs. This problem seemed most prevalent in times when a lot of people were on unemployment. Maybe the applicants were just wishful thinking for a job despite not being qualified (miracles do happen ;) ), but I'm sure some were just applying so they could hang onto their unemployment eligibility, knowing they would never get the job but could tell the unemployment office, "Hey, I keep applying."
littleguns

Postby smugpug » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:46 pm

I was working for a retail star a few years back for a couple of years, and around Christmas time the store was doing a lot of hiring. I was talking to my boss about a one day, who did the hiring, and he said out of 20 people they interviewed, 15 could not pass a drug test or had a criminal record and cannot be hired according to the company's standards. You have to think with the legalization of drugs oh, that this is going to be not a factor in the future. I would think also including criminal convictions will not allowed to be a factor in hiring someone. They will hire bad employees, they will give customers bad service, and customers won't have anything to say about it.
smugpug

Postby mowmud » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:08 am

Alcohol is legal to possess, legal to drink, as long as your 21. It is highly unacceptable to show up to work drunk... even if you walk to work. I too, think it has to do with maintaining benefits. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is acceptable in a work environment. You do what the boss says... or you get canned. Honor thy paycheck, if you don't want it that way, start your own business.
Do it your way.
I haven't met too many roofers that don't drink. There is a time and place to do so... but a roof is not one of those places. Be on the job site at 7am, if you are not sober by the time we start standing ladders, you should of just stayed home and wonder if the company can find a better replacement for you in 24 hours time.

We were usually standing ladders at 7:10, Ten minutes to get our game plan ready for the day, then Go!.

Hard to find a bunch of choir boys... or gals, that want to do roofing. I have worked beside some female roofers in my time. Good roofers too. I do have to admit they are few and far between.

That Amazon is building that new 'super' warehouse about 25 miles from where I'm at. Nice inside work. A possible place for me after I don't have to take care of Ma. Summertime commute would be a breeze, wintertime... not so much.
mowmud

Postby nadx » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:32 pm

agree---lotta young folks smoking pot or eating "edible" pot
im blown away

when i was in college i HATED the smell of pot, if i was drinking at a party the smell made me sick lol
nadx

Return to General Discussion