Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Cicadas --------YUK

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Cicadas --------YUK

Postby Alias » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:51 pm

Anyone here want to join me in wishing their stay above ground would come to a rapid end? Their infernal chirping has finally started wearing on my nerves. More than that, I'm thinking of wearing a bee keepers hat and veil to keep them off my face. This is the first time since the pandemic started that I've had to wear a mask in my own back yard.

It got up to 92° with high humidity here today. Needless to say, I've spent the hottest part of the day inside. But, I've got to go back out and do some more watering. Y'all have a good evening.............gfp
Alias

Re: Cicadas --------YUK

Postby littleguns » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:44 pm

No cicadas here (southern MN), but it has been hot! It was 97 Friday and 99 Saturday. Today, not as bad -- around 90 and breezy. Still pretty warm to try to accomplish much outside. I see a shortage of cats, birds and squirrels compared with most days. Everything is hunkering down. I did get greeted by a third-grown raccoon in one of my sheds. He/she was a cute thing and approached me without much fear, then retreated. I put out some dry cat food and several pans of water for it (or them, if there are more). Some people hate raccoons. I find them entertaining, and just doing what I'm doing -- trying to survive. ;) Also had a half-grown woodchuck pop out from under a shed door and just sat there and looked at me, then scurried back inside when one of my cats wandered by. I know woodchucks can be a problem around buildings, but I don't have the heart to kill them -- maybe live-trap and relocate, though. I put out a pan of water for the 'chuck, too. I'm soft-hearted for critters in general.
littleguns

Postby Red Dave » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:03 pm

Haven't noticed the cicadas around here much yet. Can hear them, but haven't seen them, but then I haven't gone looking for them either. When I was a kid, I used to collect their shells, had quite a collection of them at one time.

The last time they were around, my Aunt and a few of the cousins from Alaska were here for a visit. It was summer and the cicadas were chirping away. I was used to them and the noise didn't really register with me, but my one cousin was freaked out by the sound. They had nothing like it at home and asked if they were dangerous. Of course I told them that they were harmless. They had lived for some years out in the bush where they dealt with bears and moose, but the sound of the cicadas unnerved them. It's all in what you are used to, I guess.
Red Dave

Postby Alias » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:04 pm

littleguns wrote: I did get greeted by a third-grown raccoon in one of my sheds. He/she was a cute thing and approached me without much fear, then retreated. I put out some dry cat food and several pans of water for it (or them, if there are more). Some people hate raccoons. I find them entertaining, Also had a half-grown woodchuck pop out from under a shed door and just sat there and looked at me, then scurried back inside when one of my cats wandered by. I know woodchucks can be a problem around buildings, but I don't have the heart to kill them -- maybe live-trap and relocate, though. I put out a pan of water for the 'chuck, too. I'm soft-hearted for critters in general.

LG, you would enjoy meeting my oldest son's wife, Jennie. Who, hand feeds a bunch of raccoons that comes begging on her front porch. They first arrived when they were very small and right away they accepted her as their mother figure. I have a black snake that calls my shed home. He's harmless and he serves a good purpose in that he keeps the mice out.
Alias

Postby Lightening Bug » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:51 pm

You wouldn't believe the sound here.

I go outside and there is this huge pulsing sound - of the cicadas.

But I think it's sorta neat. These creatures come up every 17 years and share their lives with us.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby littleguns » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:21 am

Alias wrote:
littleguns wrote: I did get greeted by a third-grown raccoon in one of my sheds. He/she was a cute thing and approached me without much fear, then retreated. I put out some dry cat food and several pans of water for it (or them, if there are more). Some people hate raccoons. I find them entertaining, Also had a half-grown woodchuck pop out from under a shed door and just sat there and looked at me, then scurried back inside when one of my cats wandered by. I know woodchucks can be a problem around buildings, but I don't have the heart to kill them -- maybe live-trap and relocate, though. I put out a pan of water for the 'chuck, too. I'm soft-hearted for critters in general.

LG, you would enjoy meeting my oldest son's wife, Jennie. Who, hand feeds a bunch of raccoons that comes begging on her front porch. They first arrived when they were very small and right away they accepted her as their mother figure. I have a black snake that calls my shed home. He's harmless and he serves a good purpose in that he keeps the mice out.

Bless Jennie's heart! I'm always amazed when people say the've never seen a live raccoon, only road kills. (We've all heard the joke: Why did the chicken cross the road? To prove to the raccoons that it can be done.) Last summer I had two litters (four in one, five in another) that would scrounge for bird food under my feeders with their parents. It was fascinating to watch them from my living-room window only five feet away from them. After a few short weeks, they all disappeared. Who knows where they go? I have an adult now that finishes off the cat food left on my deck after the cats are herded into the garage for the night. If I open the back door, the 'coon scoots under my smaller deck. After a few minutes, it will emerge and scamper along the side of the house to the bird- feeder area. I'm hopeful some young ones will show up again.

(FWIW, my cats have had rabies shots, just to be safe.)
littleguns

Postby Bamabear » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:33 pm

None here, so far, but I did see on tv where people were cooking them like crawfish, Yuk!!!!!!!
Bamabear

Return to General Discussion