Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

canning supplys

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

canning supplys

Postby Bamabear » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:01 am

I am so irritated about canning supply skyrocketing, Everyone and their Mama are out to make big bucks, You can get them online, for a bundle, from 3$ at the store, well used to be, they want 10$ for a pack of 12, I don't need rings, got plenty, orders a bunk size box from Lehmans last year.. you can buy jars with the lids on cheaper that plain old lids, I ordered an off name brand, but I am afraid to use them, not too reliable, I canned peach jam and water bathed canned them and some of the lids did not even seal,... there is a guy that sells out of FL. everything goes to the Veterans, reliable, I paid 60$ for 5 dozen of regular lids, and got 5 boxes of wide mouth, but that is about it.. Ordered 6 dozen from Lehmans but they are on back hold., they will send them when they get them, but when? maybe next year, what is the deal, you know all these are NOT made in America... I have lots and lots of jars. but I guess I will buy jars with the lids on them. I hate to freeze green beans and tomatoes. I don't need vegetable soup, got plenty, oh well my rant for the day... but garden is looking good....
Bamabear

Re: canning supplys

Postby smugpug » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:19 am

I replace I see in my area is hiring, and have been hiring for a while now, but no one wants to work, because the government keep supplying "free" money. Of course the real purpose is to drive up the minimum wage to a so-called living wage. That way if you drop out of school when you're 15 years old and are dumb as a rock, you can make a great living flipping a burger at McDonalds, do McDonald's replaces the burger flipper with a robot. But of course, people think that the rich are just going to hand over all their money oh, but that's not going to happen. The rest will find just another way to keep their money, they will raise prices to make sure they still get their same profit, and the price of everything will go up so these people will be in the same ballpark
smugpug

Postby littleguns » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:07 am

Like Bamabear, my wife has been buying jars with lids because the lids alone are either unavailable or ridiculously priced. It does seem strange that something as simple as a jar lid would be in such drastically short supply. It's become cheaper to buy some thingsfrom the grocery store already canned, but for folks who like to garden and do home preserves, that jest ain't right. :(
littleguns

Postby Coffee » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:05 pm

I don't remember it, but there apparently was a canning lid shortage in 1975. Back in 1975, "A federal investigation determined no collusion. A tin shortage the previous year and hoarders were to blame, and manufacturers hadn't predicted the surge in home canning, just like today." Source: Martha Ann Overland, npr.org 9-20-2020, "The Latest Covid-19 Shortage is Canning Lids." This virus has caused quite a few other shortages when you think a little about it; ripples felt through the economy.
Coffee

Postby smugpug » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:06 pm

I had an ad popup on Facebook for Denali canning company that sold lids. I didn't check them out, just letting you know. Hope they are not a scam
smugpug

Postby Bamabear » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:31 am

I ordered 200 lids on Amazon, for 39$. read the reviews , they were all good. got them yesterday, they looks just like the ones with the name Ball and Kerr on them... the same... hopefully they work out... I think so... made pickles most of the weekend..now my cukes are swimming, so much rain.... but not complaining, we needed it...
Bamabear

Postby Red Dave » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:41 am

I've been seeing canning jars and lids locally by a company called Pur. I never heard of them before and have no idea whether they are good or not. Have you heard of them?
Red Dave

Postby Bamabear » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:44 am

no never , mmm.
Bamabear

Return to General Discussion