Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Went Camping

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Went Camping

Postby mowmud » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:49 am

Spent two days up at Wellesley Island, caught two bass! Spent the remaining three days in the GREAT Adirondack Park. I love it up there so much. We got rained on a couple days, but we didn't get wet unless we wanted to be. Tent camping at its finest.

Seeing all the fancy RV campers scrambling for their hard shells when a little sun shower passes over is funny. They don't know what camping is all about.

I did some fishing up in the ADK, my past experiences hold true, I don't have much luck up there. Thats why we went to the Ste. Lawrence first. It is my favorite fishing spot of them all.
Went up through Massena and seen the Eisenhower locks. Awesome, We drove under the lock when there was a big lake freighter in the lock. Very strange feeling. The tunnel is not very long... but still... driving underneath a boat, never done that before.

I'll see if I can do pics again. If I can make it work, this is a pic from the Ste. Lawrence, the ADK is not as commercial or touristy.
camp2.JPG
mowmud

Re: Went Camping

Postby Pitch1 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:34 am

Love the North Country. I do take offense at your description of "fancy RV campers". I am one of those semi fancy RV campers,we own a trailer rather than a motorhome.
I spent decades sleeping on the ground with a leaky air mattress,cooking a meal on a coleman stove under a leaky tarp trying to keep rain out of my eggs. Deciding whether I want my muddy boots out in the rain or messing up the tiny area in the tent.
Go ahead Mud, enjoy your "real" camping, I will do the same things you do,hike fish,sightsee,and stay dry.
Do they still let you go lockside at Eisenhower? Last time I was there they had yellow lines marking the boundary,but I have heard that only the observation platform is accessible now?
Pitch1

Postby Alias » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:54 am

Pitch1 wrote:Love the North Country. I do take offense at your description of "fancy RV campers". I am one of those semi fancy RV campers,we own a trailer rather than a motorhome.

Hell---o!!!!! What don't you take offense with? Don't you understand that real men like Mowmud are naturally born to ROUGH-IT. 'Sides, you don't need no tags for a tent. All a real men needs are a trusty old fold-up chair, a tackle box and beer cooler to take into nature.............gfp
Alias

Postby Pitch1 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:08 pm

Well, I guess that I ain't a manly man then George. I spent decades being manly, but then as I aged,I wanted more comfort. Sorry I do not meet your expectations there General.
That being said, I love the North country and go there to be comfortable at least once a year.
I take offense in this instance means that I think it is not an accurate statement, as being opposed to taking offense at rascists, epublicans and supporters of the big lie.

January 6, 2021 will live in infamy as long as our nation stands. I big lumpy gob of turd in our nations book!
Pitch1

Postby Red Dave » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:43 pm

Pitch1 wrote:Well, I guess that I ain't a manly man then George. I spent decades being manly, but then as I aged,I wanted more comfort. Sorry I do not meet your expectations there General.
That being said, I love the North country and go there to be comfortable at least once a year.
I take offense in this instance means that I think it is not an accurate statement, as being opposed to taking offense at rascists, epublicans and supporters of the big lie.

January 6, 2021 will live in infamy as long as our nation stands. I big lumpy gob of turd in our nations book!

You even add your hate and self loathing to a post about camping. Do you have no shame?

Did you make an appointment with a psychiatrist yet? Do it for your family. I'm sure they are worried about you.
Red Dave

Postby mowmud » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:51 pm

Pitch1 wrote:Love the North Country. I do take offense at your description of "fancy RV campers". I am one of those semi fancy RV campers,we own a trailer rather than a motorhome.
I spent decades sleeping on the ground with a leaky air mattress,cooking a meal on a coleman stove under a leaky tarp trying to keep rain out of my eggs. Deciding whether I want my muddy boots out in the rain or messing up the tiny area in the tent.
Go ahead Mud, enjoy your "real" camping, I will do the same things you do,hike fish,sightsee,and stay dry.
Do they still let you go lockside at Eisenhower? Last time I was there they had yellow lines marking the boundary,but I have heard that only the observation platform is accessible now?

Obviously, you were camping wrong if you were getting wet. And just what exactly do you mean by 'small' tent... did you even look at the picture? There is a screened in dance floor in there. There is nothing small about the tent in the pic.

Then again, I have heard some pretty weird mid life crisis stories.
mowmud

Postby Patria » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:04 pm

Very nice photo, mowmud. I'm happy for you.
Patria

Postby Bamabear » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:32 am

I have always went tent camping, love it! don't have anyone this year to camp with... daughter has a new love and when she gets one, she has No time for family, I will remember this, I told her if she doesn't come and help me can stuff from the garden, she will not get any, she has yet to come over and help... Granddaughter went and bought a new expensive camper . beautiful one, I could live in. I would not want to have to pay for it... but she said, mawma we can go places now and wont have to rent rooms...
Bamabear

Postby screamer » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:42 pm

I love tent camping..........in Spring Fall and Winter. I did a great deal of under the stars living until the third child came along.. Just a little too much gear to drag along etc. We did 1800 to 1830 re-enacting for a couple decades. No paper plates, no flash lights no aluminum foil, etc. candles camp fires and Dutch ovens. Best camping times we ever had was late September on top- a mountain in West Virginia. We had two frosty mornings and a freezing rain. We had a 10 x 10 wall tent with a small cast iron wood stove. icicles outside and about 75 degrees inside. cooking in the coals in the stove. We had a large table set up under a white canvas fly. A candle chandelier and two candelabras for light, and we made feasts. Roast goose on a spit, baked apple crisp in the Dutch oven, sweet potatoes roasted in the coals and hot fresh biscuits with apple butter or honey. One night, we even made a low country boil in my cast iron kettle. Shrimp, small potatoes, corn on the cob, clams, smoked sausage and some mussels. Just because you are camping is no reason to exist on beans and weanies. Every night there was entertainment through out the camp. Live chamber music one place, a traveling medicine show another, with an magician or tall tales spinner here and there. During the day there would be musket matches, period games for kids and classes on leather working, basket weaving, cloth dyeing, early cures, etc. Every body dressed in historical clothing. It was a blast. Definitely a vastly different kind of fun from the KOA and "tin tipis.".
screamer

Return to General Discussion