Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Interesting day on the farm

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Interesting day on the farm

Postby smugpug » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:31 pm

It has been an interesting day on the farm. I took my wife to work this afternoon and when I came home I thought I saw a black object laying out in the pasture. Yesterday, I had a gigantic Lake there, and lo and behold, I was not expecting this, I have a new calf. I am glad it was born this time of year, it will give it a chance to get used to life in decent weather. I'm not sure if it's a boy or girl yet, I felt if I went out and tried to round it up, it would take off and run through the electric fences, and I'd have to chase it over half the county like I did the others. Mama seems pretty attentive, so I will try not to challenge them today. While I was in the barn looking out the window at the calf in the pasture, I heard a flutter in the chicken pen, my chickens are getting their wing feathers and are wanting to fly out of the pain in the one small area I don't have a net over. But it was not a chicken, there was a hawk caught in the pen. I have a 50 foot by 50 foot pain, with just a small area next to the barn not covered, and it must have flown in there, and couldn't find it's way out. When I went in the house to grab my camera to take a picture, it did finally find its way out and flew out before I could. I can't identify it, it was flying around too much, but I have to say it was pretty cool. The only drawback is that might be why a few of my chickens and turkeys have disappeared. I caught a stray cat in a live trap and I thought that might be killing them, but I think now it was this hawk. I have some netting I can cover that last part, I'll have to work on doing that. Also, I had my first cucumber out of the Garden today. I like the pickling cubes best, but this one was from a variety called Japanese climbing cucumber. Boy, did it taste good. There is nothing like a fresh cucumber right out of the garden. With all the rain we have had, I am hoping that I will get some cherry tomatoes before the 4th. I have lots and lots of tomatoes, they are green though
smugpug

Re: Interesting day on the farm

Postby Red Dave » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:47 pm

smugpug wrote: I have a new calf. I am glad it was born this time of year, it will give it a chance to get used to life in decent weather. I'm not sure if it's a boy or girl yet, I felt if I went out and tried to round it up, it would take off and run through the electric fences, and I'd have to chase it over half the county like I did the others. Mama seems pretty attentive, so I will try not to challenge them today.

I can remember 50+ years ago having to go out in the pasture to bring in calves that were born unexpectedly the night before. At less than 24 hours old, they can kick and butt pretty doggone hard, and Mama usually is feeling very protective and doesn't want you to be that close. Mama can hurt you bad. It was about all a teenage boy could do to get them into the barn, and if they didn't want to go, it was near impossible.

I wouldn't even try to wrestle with a calf now. I'm pretty sure I would lose.
Red Dave

Postby smugpug » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:22 pm

I agree Red Dave. But I did get the Nutty enough over that one part of the chicken coop, except for the part by the Hornet's Nest, wasp nest, whatever it was, they stung me right above my one eye and it's swollen shut. But I went out and got some wasp and hornet spray and paid them back for what they did.
smugpug

Postby Alias » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:15 am

Thanks for your well written report on life on the farm, Smugpug. It was reminiscent of my early teens at home on my parents farm.
Alias

Postby Bamabear » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:35 am

smugpug I am running over with cucumbers, already made 33 pints of dills... I am dilled out. lol... canning green beans and made kraut... just starting, I planted way to many cucumbers....
Bamabear

Return to General Discussion