Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Walked into town yesterday morning

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Walked into town yesterday morning

Postby Coffee » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:40 am

Feedback from the body said need longer walks. Time to walk down to town to drop a couple bill payments into the outside postal box. Pleasant summer morning, in a North central State. Indian tobacco starting to bloom in the field. Two deer in the cattail swamp, about a hundred yards off the abandoned railroad bed. Just see their ears sticking up. On the railroad bed, in 2007, 2008, and 2018, during the floods, maybe the water levels would have been ten or twelve feet over the road. Mint getting ready to bloom; white sweet clover in bloom. Several, maybe ten, Monarch butterflies. Good! At the edge of town, someone planted a coneflower in a concrete block planter and it has bloomed, an orange tint to it. Right there is an old landfill, but it looks like a vacant lot now. Tea bag with string still attached lying in the asphalt road. Tractor pulls held here. Small antique camper trailer parked where Quonset hut once stood. Reminds one of old front yard root beer stands of the 1950s. Cross Main St. PO in sight; a young couple is carrying two boxes to an SUV. Speculation is they have chicks in those boxes, or at least one of them. The two are plainly dressed, maybe of the Mennonite persuasion. On the way back, there is a Turk's cap lily in bloom, in the brush along the side of the old railroad bed. Is this a paradox, to live in town, but also able to walk into town? 8-)
Coffee

Re: Walked into town yesterday morning

Postby Bamabear » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:28 am

sounds like a nice stroll... My town has built some townhomes nearby, a walk to the library, town, but not much town left, the ones that had money to burn had the town done away with in the 80s build a sort of mall that you walk through, instead of drive and park in front of the stores, now No stores, I loved town like it was, parades, harvest fest.. Granddaddy had a jewelry store where I worked at 16, and on the corner a feed and seed store, where the old timers sat around the pot belly stove and played checkers, and Hammers a retail store that had sales on towels at 1.19 each, big bath towels, maybe something flawed a little but at that price what the heck, sheets the same... nothing there now, maybe a few antique stores so expensive you dare not buy anything, I miss the old town! They still have Harvest fest in October, but the churches are not allowed to bake and sell, only high priced venders.. and the stuff everybody else sells is way overpriced...like I said I miss the old town, one year Goober Pyle came and I got to meet him... and the Old Man of the Mountain, always came with his mule and dressed like the mountain man...I miss old town!
Bamabear

Postby Coffee » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:46 am

Yeah, how time passes, doesn't it. Before the landfill came, when I was a boy, there was the County shop nearby, a feed store nearby, a small stockyards and a tobacco warehouse nearby. Now there is no County shop, no feed store, no stock yards and no tobacco warehouse, and for that matter, no railroad. I remember walking at the landfill, checking out smoldering piles of trash, broken glass, paper, plastic, metal, all the junk the friends and neighbors had tossed out. Not many left here who remember those days. Now the dump (landfill) is pretty much an open area, the trailhead for the trail into the swamp. The trash was covered with dirt and smoothed out. A couple signs say, the DNR has designated this trail as non-motorized. It is what we call a silent sports trail, which I like. The trail surface is just grass and white lawn clover. No gravel or asphalt. I forgot to say, there was a chicory starting to bloom, the blue flower on a fairly long stem.
What this town has become is spread out, that is, built up along a highway. All length and not much width.
Coffee

Postby Alias » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:39 pm

Coffee, I'm impressed with your descriptive writing, as I could imagine every thing you saw on your walk. Maybe you should walk more and write about what you see...................gfp
Alias

Postby Coffee » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:41 pm

Thank you, Alias. I was just kind of touching base here, checking in once in a while. I need to lace up my boots and walk more, just to stay strong and healthy. Gardening and sitting on a riding mower aren't quite enough exercise, I don't think. Things we observe in everyday life can be interesting and I wish more folks here would do that (write about what they see). Hoppy was a good example of that. Mowmud, too. LB, and Bamabear. And others! You have written many interesting stories, yourself, Alias, so I know you know what I mean. Good weekend, now.
Coffee

Postby mowmud » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:54 pm

Walking is real good. I prefer the woods to asphalt. No matter where you walk though, it gives you a chance to slow down and take in your surroundings. Sometimes you see things that are unexplainable to people that didn't see it.

Some places I go involve driving to a place I like to walk. Sometimes a boat. This picture is from either Horseshoe Lake or Cranberry Lake, can't remember which lake it was. Anyhow, we were driving, and this caught my eye.
campbar.JPG

We were stopped in the middle of the road, narrow road, I seen no signs of life so we mounted ourselves back in the Jeep and carried on.

There is a couple things about this place that interest me. #1 If your zoom function works... check out the name of the place, its right below the flag. I had to resize this pic so much that it detracts from the experience of being there.
#2 Down in the bottom left, just above the Jeeps tail light, lays a railroad rail. It's bent. Me being a southern boy, related this to Shermans neckties. Here is some on that. https://emergingcivilwar.com/2015/06/22 ... -neckties/
mowmud

Postby Coffee » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:36 am

Speaking of railroads, a song comes to mind, by Joan Baez, I think, mentioned the Danville line. They tore up the tracks again. Yeah, railroads were a big thing back then. Like the railroad that supplied Richmond toward the end. War is hell and war is costly. People seem to forget that too easily. The Milwaukee Bucks made it to the NBA finals last night. I know that's not much of a topic for many of you, but I was impressed by the really good display of sportsmanship at the end of the game- players from the two teams shaking hands and greeting each other or saying goodbye to each other. Thank you, mowmud :)
Coffee

Return to General Discussion