Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Alias?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Alias?

Postby Bamabear » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:22 am

Did you have any bad storms? and flood damage? sure hope not, what I have saw on the internet, the flooding was bad... take care
Bamabear

Re: Alias?

Postby Alias » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:38 am

No. Thankfully we came through this one with almost no damage in our area. I'm not sure how much rain was dumped in our vicinity throughout the storm. But, I had an 8 inch high bucket sitting out near the shed that was filled to the brim. So, I figure we received at least that amount. We were spared from the tornadoes also. Which showed up to our south in the Annapolis area and to the north in Pa.

Last evening we drove up to the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River. From our vantage on the discharge side we were good position to see the raging water the passed through the flood gates. It was a sight to behold. I don't know how many gated were open but there were definitely a good many. We took picture and if I can get them downloaded from our phones I'll try to post them. But, I may have to wait for my grand-daughter to get here because, she is our resident phone and computer expert.

Right now, the sun shines bright here in our niche of the world and I have a bunch of weed waking and trimming to do. So, I'd best be getting to it. The wife is taking the twin G,Grand kids to school today for their schedule/room and locker assignment/and to pay for their gym uniforms. This will be their first day at middle school. They are soooooo excited.

Have a great day............gfp
Alias

Postby Red Dave » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:38 am

George, Conowingo should be in spill until Monday or maybe Tuesday. River flow peaked last night at around 260,000 Cubic Feet Per Second (CFS), this morning when I looked it was a little over 200,000 according to the USGS Gauge. Conowingo can only get about 80,000 through their powerhouse, so everything over that has to spill. I expect that the tailrace parking area will be quite busy over the weekend.
Red Dave

Postby mowmud » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:08 am

Seneca River is running four feet higher than it should be this time of year. The Ste. Lawrence and Ontario seem to be getting back to the good levels. They have been running high for a good number of years. Good to see them getting back to normal.

I too, like seeing the mad rush of water. I usually do it on small creeks in a canoe though. That big water will ruin ya.
mowmud

Return to General Discussion