Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Even a broke clock is right twice a day

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Even a broke clock is right twice a day

Postby smugpug » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:17 am

I saw on the local news that a Christian bookstore opened up yesterday, and the alphabet people came out to protest and say how hateful this was. Then I read this about China. While America has bend over backwards to accommodate the alphabet people, no matter how many millions are damaged(especially youth and children)China understands and is willing to stand up to morally bankrupt mentalities.

China bans ‘incorrect political’ and ‘effeminate’ screen content

Hannah Sparks

September 2, 2021 3:15pm 

Artists with "incorrect political positions" are now prohibited from appearing on Chinese broadcasts, as part of sweeping new restrictions to make media a more "patriotic atmosphere" for young fans. AP

China is intensifying its stringent campaign to clean up their airwaves.

Lawmakers in Beijing announced on Thursday that entertainers with “incorrect political positions” shall be prohibited from appearing on broadcasts as part of sweeping new restrictions to make Chinese media a more “patriotic atmosphere” for fans, Reuters has reported.

China bans karaoke with ‘illegal content’ — including the song ‘Fart’

Their message included criticism that the industry supports an “effeminate” male image, to the detriment of Chinese men, they said.

The National Radio and Television Administration of China also intends to put the squeeze on stars’ outsized salaries while encouraging such entertainment tycoons to volunteer to aid public welfare programs.

Recent Chinese celebrity scandals, from tax evasion to sexual assault, may have prompted leaders to make big moves, the Reuters report suggests, as the Communist Party’s publicity department slammed the industry for “severely polluting the social atmosphere,” they said in a statement.

Lawmakers have also denounced male entertainers deemed too “effeminate” by Chinese heteronormative standards.AP

Those found in violation, including artists and the platforms that promote them, will be penalized for producing content deemed “warped” or “vulgar” by the Party.

It’s this sort of behavior by celebs that fosters “chaotic” fan culture in China, they said in a separate missive issued last week, insisting that young people be further deterred from engaging in “idol” groups (see: the BTS fan “Army”).

The recent reforms have also included a crackdown on karaoke catalogs across the country, ordered last month to weed out songs containing “obscenity, violence, crime or harmed social morality,” the nation’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism said — a move that some have said encroaches on artistic expression.

Others have suggested that all such new media restrictions aim to suppress “themes of freedom and democracy” — namely, Chinese cultural critic Sun Jialin. “It’s all brainwashing,” he told Radio Free Asia listeners this past July.

China’s ruling political party has the authority to censor or limit any content called into question for violating their community values — which is also the rationale for another recent move to limit the time kids spend on video games: just three hours per week, and only on weekends.
smugpug

Re: Even a broke clock is right twice a day

Postby Bkeepr » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:12 pm

Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Kim, and the Taliban all have done the same things. I am sorry, but I believe that is unAmerican and unChristian, and I would rather live somewhere where everyone can speak their mind—even if I strongly disagree with them—than somewhere where “the government” limits speech and freedom to make some group feel better.
Bkeepr

Postby smugpug » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:09 pm

You missed the point. The government should be consistently encouraging right behavior in all facets of life and not rewarding irresponsible behavior and bad choices. There is a vast difference between people having a right to speak their mind and the government encouraging bad speech. The government makes all kinds of rules for people to follow, why not encourage people to make right choices? But I see our current government doing the exact opposite.
It's sad that an atheistic communist government has more sense about morals and men and women then our current leadership in Washington has.
smugpug

Postby Red Dave » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:43 pm

I see your point Smug, but I have a problem with any government deciding what is, or is not, "right" speech and/or "right" behavior. Whether that government is lead by the CCP or the President of the United States (no matter what party he or she may be from). It sounds like Political Correctness by another name.

To me, true freedom of speech means that I might say something that makes others uncomfortable, or that they might say something I don't like. It works both ways.

Anything other than complete freedom of speech, is antithetical to the precepts the USA is founded upon. At least in my understanding of our founders intent.
Red Dave

Postby smugpug » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:31 pm

We don't have complete freedom of speech, no matter what some people think. My point was that the government should encourage and reward right behavior. The government makes all kinds of laws that encourages right behavior, maybe the government should encourage personal right behavior. We're not supposed to murder, steal, rob, rape, pillage and so on, we have to be careful we say or write about people. But I see our government encouraging wrong and immoral behavior and actually rewarding people for their irresponsibilities. They are just enabling them and I think that is bad.
Why I think the Chinese government is going way too far, I think it should be a wake-up call for our government and what we expect of people. The thought of absolute freedom where we have no responsibilities at all toward others is not true.
smugpug

Postby Bkeepr » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:55 am

smugpug wrote:...My point was that the government should encourage and reward right behavior. The government makes all kinds of laws that encourages right behavior, maybe the government should encourage personal right behavior. ...They are just enabling them and I think that is bad....The thought of absolute freedom where we have no responsibilities at all toward others is not true.

Gee, you're right smugpug!! So those very few folks who are allowed to spread wrong information about the vaccines, and that less than 20% or so who are allowed to refuse to get their COVID vaccines ought to be "encouraged" to get the vaccines!??! Yeah, that works for me-- let's march you and Kyle18 out to get the vaccination which all of the current reliable science shows is the responsible thing to do for all others is ok.

No, sir, I don't miss your point at all-- I believe you miss the fact that there are unintended consequences in the way that you see the world.
Bkeepr

Postby Pitch1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:19 am

Smug, There is a nation which does exactly as you want. Authoritarian faith based government, Males are head of home,church and government as specified in God's word. Homosexuality is discouraged, abortion is punishable, speaking and acting against the holy word is not only discouraged, but criminal.
Every one is expected to dance to the same fiddle.
I think you would feel right at home in Afghanistan with your brother zealots!
Pitch1

Postby Red Dave » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:09 am

smugpug wrote:We don't have complete freedom of speech, no matter what some people think. My point was that the government should encourage and reward right behavior. The government makes all kinds of laws that encourages right behavior, maybe the government should encourage personal right behavior. We're not supposed to murder, steal, rob, rape, pillage and so on, we have to be careful we say or write about people. But I see our government encouraging wrong and immoral behavior and actually rewarding people for their irresponsibilities. They are just enabling them and I think that is bad.
Why I think the Chinese government is going way too far, I think it should be a wake-up call for our government and what we expect of people. The thought of absolute freedom where we have no responsibilities at all toward others is not true.

I agree that the government rewards irresponsible behavior in many cases. But remember that while we have freedom of speech, we do not have complete freedom of action. Murder, steal, rob, rape, pillage and so on are actions, not speech. Those are all actions that can not be tolerated in a civilized society, even though the government has in fact looked the other way at times for those actions too.
Red Dave

Postby Coffee » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:02 am

Smug is correct about one thing, namely, we do not have complete freedom of speech in the U.S. That should be obvious. I agree with Bkeep and Pitch. "Blessings on the sheep dog."
Coffee

Return to General Discussion