Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

New Maryland Supreme Court ruling

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

New Maryland Supreme Court ruling

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:41 pm

Under a new court ruling in Maryland, you are guilty of illegally carrying a handgun if it is within your reach, and you don't even have to know that the handgun was "within reach!!"

For example, the gun could have been stashed by somebody else in the central console of your car without you knowing it, and you'd still be guilty of illegal carry! There are very strict penalties for illegal carry here. And it is very nearly impossible for the average schmoe to get a concealed carry license here. Message is: be very careful in Maryland to not accidentally have a handgun with you...even if you're just driving through the state on your way somewhere else.

Explanation of the ruling his here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmai ... carry-laws
Bkeepr

Re: New Maryland Supreme Court ruling

Postby smugpug » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:02 pm

Rome wasn't built in a day in the United States won't be destroyed in a day, but little bit by little bit, the America that was once considered the greatest nation on Earth, is disappearing. The baby is being thrown out with the bathwater
smugpug

Postby Pitch1 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:08 am

How can one not be aware they have a handgun with them? If you are a passenger in someone elses car, sure.
Folks have way to casual a relationship with firearms. Firearm is a potentially deadly tool. Everyone talks about rights, but no one mentions responsibility.
Hand gun is not the same as a pair of sunglasses, a pen,or umbrella. A responsible owner knows its location and condition at all times.
your example of someone else leaving a weapon behind is quite far fetched.
Before you start crap I hold a NYS pistol permit. an arduous and protracted exercise. Hunt and shoot so I am no antigunner. I will admit to being somewhat of an Elmer Fudd.
Pitch1

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:36 am

Pitch1 wrote:How can one not be aware they have a handgun with them?...Everyone talks about rights, but no one mentions responsibility....Before you start crap I hold a NYS pistol permit. an arduous and protracted exercise. Hunt and shoot so I am no antigunner. I will admit to being somewhat of an Elmer Fudd.

Pitch1,

I'll start with your third phrase first-- I don't start crap. I like to think I can hold my own in any intelligent conversation (as an aside: intelligent conversation has become something of a rarity here anymore).

Next, I'll say I agree with you on much of the rest of what you wrote. I am an exceedingly careful gun owner, and do feel the responsibility that goes along with gun ownership, and I do wish the system would more strictly punish criminals who use guns. I also envy that you got an NYS pistol permit, something I cannot do in Maryland because the carry laws here (or perhaps their interpretation) are apparently even stricter than NYS.

I don't believe I would ever "forget" I had a gun somewhere, however I do make mistakes and forget some things so I won't say I "never" could. Heck, people in the US regularly "forget" their own children and leave them to die in hot cars...and yet Courts find many of the parents not responsible, so apparently there is a basis for forgetting important things.

But, to me most importantly, this court ruling presumes that anyone who is arrested for this is automatically guilty of the crime. That is a pretty major change in American jurisprudence, and I find that very disturbing. Simply because something like gun ownership is unpopular does not mean every gun owner is guilty of something...what's next?
Bkeepr

Postby smugpug » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:54 am

I would think that over 99% of legal gun owners are responsible. I would think with such a sizable population and gun population oh, there will always be those who lack responsibility. That is true for just about anything.
I would also think that most illegal gun owners are irresponsible and out of the vast majority of the problem. But I think the focus on the media, a media that wants to disarm the population and take down the Second Amendment, looks for any legal gun owner who is at fault as an example, while at the same time remaining pretty quiet about all the illegal and irresponsible gun activity that goes on in this country. And when it does happen, how often do they blame legal gun owners for the problem
smugpug

Postby Red Dave » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:00 am

As with most anti gun rulings, it does absolutely nothing to prevent criminals from doing what they have always done. If a criminal has been long ignoring the hundreds, if not thousands, of gun laws already on the books, is this the one that will induce them to give up their criminal ways? Probably not.

What Maryland should be doing is thug and criminal control, instead of trying to control legally and responsibly owned guns.

I also agree with Pitch, It's hard to imagine having a gun in a vehicle and not know it, with the exception of riding as a passenger in somebody else's vehicle.
Red Dave

Postby Dieselrider » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:03 pm

This law would appear to be totally unconstitutional. However, that courts may not agree. Any law that infringes on the right to carry or Bare arms is indeed unconstitutional. So glad I do not live in Maryland.

If anyone were to fight this to the US Supreme court, they should win.
Dieselrider

Postby Bkeepr » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:45 am

Dieselrider wrote:This law would appear to be totally unconstitutional. However, that courts may not agree. Any law that infringes on the right to carry or Bare arms is indeed unconstitutional. So glad I do not live in Maryland.

If anyone were to fight this to the US Supreme court, they should win.

People here have been fighting these laws for years, in court and in Annapolis, and haven’t won yet. This is what single-party rule looks like, and it is hateful.
Bkeepr

Return to General Discussion