Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Selling Pawpaws

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Selling Pawpaws

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:37 am

I've been giving them away for years, but this year on a whim--sort of like when I started selling firewood at the end of the driveway--I advertised pawpaws on Craigs List.

Selling them cheap, $2 a pound, and so far have made close to $200. Harvest is just about finished, but there are still some folks coming today and others asking if I've got any left. And several folks have come back twice, and others are asking me to email them next year when the trees are ready.

I won't get rich, but this is certainly better than a sharp stick in the eye!
Bkeepr

Re: Selling Pawpaws

Postby Alias » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:24 am

Good for you Tom. I guess I'll have to wait a few more years before I can start cashing in on the seeds you sent to me............gfp
Alias

Postby smugpug » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:19 am

I have half a dozen or so apple and pear trees around the perimeter of my 40 acres. Been there as long as I have been here. They flower out nice Every Spring, and produce plenty of apples and pears that taste pretty good, even though the trees are never have been sprayed or prune. I wondered at times if it would be worth my while to start pruning these trees back and spraying them to see what kind of harvest I could get. It would be a lot more apples and pears than I could eat, but maybe I can sell a few along the road
smugpug

Postby screamer » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:45 pm

I keep hearing about how good they are. I tried pawpaws twice in my life. Both times they were horrid. To me they smelled like somebody barfed. Maybe they were bad or something. I like almost any fruit or vegetable. After so many decades of hearing about them, I was so disappointed. Another one I found to be a major disappointment was Monk Fruit.
screamer

Postby smugpug » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:17 pm

Made me think of a joke I heard.

A man wanted to become a monk so he went to the monastery and talked to the head monk.
The head monk said, "You must take a vow of silence and can only say two words every three years."
The man agreed and after the first 3 years, the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"
"Food bad!" the man replied.
Three more years went by and the head monk came to him and said "What are your two words?"
"Bed hard!" the man exclaimed.
Three more years went by and the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"
"I quit!" said the man.
"Well," the head monk replied, "I am not surprised. You have done nothing but complain ever since you got here!"
smugpug

Postby Alias » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:51 am

smugpug wrote:Made me think of a joke I heard.

A man wanted to become a monk so he went to the monastery and talked to the head monk.
The head monk said, "You must take a vow of silence and can only say two words every three years."
The man agreed and after the first 3 years, the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"
"Food bad!" the man replied.
Three more years went by and the head monk came to him and said "What are your two words?"
"Bed hard!" the man exclaimed.
Three more years went by and the head monk came to him and said, "What are your two words?"
"I quit!" said the man.
"Well," the head monk replied, "I am not surprised. You have done nothing but complain ever since you got here!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the laff smugpug. I'm passing this onto some negative individuals I know...............gfp
Alias

Postby Bkeepr » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:03 am

screamer wrote:I keep hearing about how good they are. I tried pawpaws twice in my life. Both times they were horrid. To me they smelled like somebody barfed. Maybe they were bad or something. I like almost any fruit or vegetable. After so many decades of hearing about them, I was so disappointed. Another one I found to be a major disappointment was Monk Fruit.

Some folks love 'em, others hate 'em--guess that's like most things. My season has ended and we ended up grossing over $200, some of that due to repeat customers. I do like 'em a lot, but I get my fill for the year after a dozen or so and then I won't have any for a year. I hope I keep getting repeat customers like this year, though, because it was fun and a good way to make a little lunch money.
Bkeepr

Return to General Discussion