Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Need a new thermostat

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Need a new thermostat

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:07 am

For my 94 year old Mom. It *has* to have automatic switch over between heat and cold, and has to be able to control a gas furnace and an air conditioner (not a heat pump). And it cannot require a "c" wire because the house is 65+ years old and doesn't have one. Large read-out is a plus, as is easy control of the temperature setting. Problem is that she doesn't see very well at all, and can't reset her old thermostat between heating and cooling anymore.

any suggestions?
Bkeepr

Re: Need a new thermostat

Postby smugpug » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:10 pm

I typed in a search and one site called cozyhomehq.com had thermostats for the elderly and Visually Impaired if that is any help
smugpug

Postby smugpug » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:12 pm

grayingwithgrace.com also had some
smugpug

Postby mowmud » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:29 am

Been around them a lot... and never found one that was easy to read. I liked the old round ones with mercury in them. Didn't need batteries. Can't get them no more.
mowmud

Postby lamar fudd1 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:09 pm

mowmud wrote:Been around them a lot... and never found one that was easy to read. I liked the old round ones with mercury in them. Didn't need batteries. Can't get them no more.

Those were the BEST. Only drawback was not programmable. I have an outbuilding with a gas furnace and I had to get a thermostat that had no mercury. Set it at 50 degrees. One snowy morning, I look out and the snow is melted of the insulated roof. Thermostat had stuck in the night and it was OVER 100 degrees in there. Thermostat had unstuck before I got out there so it MIGHT have gotten hotter. Asked around and got a genuine Honeywell Round Thermostat that the previous owner had tossed in favor of a combination heat and cool.
lamar fudd1

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:10 pm

I still have a round Honeywell controlling our steam boiler! It even has the Esso logo in the center!!

Today I finally got the new Honeywell at my Mom’s working properly. It turns out there’s two key rules to setting it that are not documented in the instructions or the tech support folks’ manuals. But my search is now off…unless it quits working again.
Bkeepr

Postby mowmud » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:51 pm

I have a Honeywell also. Mine takes two double A batteries about twice a year. :(

Could that have anything to do with the two 'key rules' ? Sometimes when things set on a shelf for a long time, things wear out. Something like a thermostat, I keep track of the batteries closely. They still don't work when the main power goes out though.
mowmud

Postby Bkeepr » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:28 am

mowmud wrote:I have a Honeywell also. Mine takes two double A batteries about twice a year. :(

Could that have anything to do with the two 'key rules' ? Sometimes when things set on a shelf for a long time, things wear out. Something like a thermostat, I keep track of the batteries closely. They still don't work when the main power goes out though.

No, this one didn't come with batteries and I put fresh ones in. The two key settings are that:

1) the temperature for cooling and the temperature for heating have to be set at least four degrees apart. In other words, you can't keep the same temperature all year long. The reason is that if they're set closer than that, there's a logic problem with the AC might cool down to just a hair below your set temperature which would then kick on the heat so it might go a hair above and then it'd just be back and forth all the time. The 4 degrees is to keep it from ever doing that.

2) You must set it on "auto heat" and set the temperature. Then you must set it on "auto cool" and set the temperature, remembering that cool must be at least 4 degrees warmer than heat. Then you can set it to "auto" and it'll switch as necessary to maintain the temperature within that range.

Then a third point I discovered is that it actually takes time to make the switch between hot and cold, and so there can actually be an extra degree that happens if for some reason the temperature changes very fast (like you open a door and leave it open so cold air comes blowing in.
Bkeepr

Return to General Discussion