Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Change of the Seasons

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Change of the Seasons

Postby mowmud » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:56 pm

The geese appear to be flying in the right direction this year. They appear to be headed out towards Montezuma. Too high up to be landing in our local swamps and ponds. One small flock and two medium sized. I wish they tasted better.

The temperatures here are acceptable. It is gonna really mess up the grapes... again.

Personally, I like to see it cold enough to freeze Lake Ontario, when that happens, it cuts down on our snowfall. I'd rather have a ton of fluff snow than a ton of the heavy wet crap.

Still have an owl living on the next ridge over east. I love sounds like that.
mowmud

Re: Change of the Seasons

Postby Pitch1 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:31 am

Been real warm.Leaves are dropping and few great colors. Hasn't frosted yet. I think we are goig to be in for a major snow winter if the amount of rain we have had follows through. You are hard into the Lake Effect area, I am at it's southern edge so I don't suffer as much.
Pitch1

Postby Bkeepr » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:47 am

We're having a beautiful Fall right now-- temperatures around 72 in the days and 62 at night. No frost yet so far, but we usually have our first one about now. Leaves are not very pretty this year, and are already starting to drop, I guess from the long dry weather we had before this recent wet spell.

I love Fall and Spring best, but really have to have all four seasons to really feel good. I guess perfect weather for me would be long Springs and Falls, and 4 week long Winters and Summers. :D

Y'all stay safe!
Bkeepr

Postby Red Dave » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:28 am

It's been a nice fall so far, trees are turning slowly, only 10-15% of the leaves are down so far. Between middle of October and the middle of November will be the biggest leaf drop. With the wet summer we had, I expect it to be a good year for leaf colors.

Been many days of beautiful fall weather, and according to the weather outlook, there are more to come. Fall is my favorite time of year, crisp cool mornings with nice warm and sunny afternoons. With our hot, humid summers and cold damp winters, fall is the best weather season here in the mid-Atlantic states.
Red Dave

Postby mowmud » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:00 pm

I'd say we are at about 50% color looking out over the countryside. My back valley is only showing about 20% color. A few leaves falling, but most are still on the trees around here.
mowmud

Postby Coffee » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:39 am

Speaking of change of seasons, I drove up to the county seat of Vernon County last evening. Kickapoo Coffee changed its name. I still have never stopped in there. The Food Co-op was friendly as usual. They had maybe ten jigsaw puzzles on display, for sale. Walmart had a display of Christmas cards, somewhere between the pharmacy area and bird feeding supplies area. One Christmas card had a Pug with a Santa cap on, on the front of the card. Cute, but too early to think about Christmas. Then I put a suet cake and bag of cardinals-chickadees food into my cart. Made a pass through automotive. They had car batteries on the shelf. I was just looking. Stopped in the cereal aisle. Heard a lady ask, can't find the Special K. I said, I didn't see them down this way. Then I said, sometimes they're out. [But the shelves were well-stocked all through the store, which is a "supercenter"]. The lady said, they're out a lot. I was putting a family size box of Cheerios in my cart and I heard her say, the Special K is up here, at the end of the aisle, and on the other side. And then she was gone. "Blessings on the sheep dog."
Coffee

Postby smugpug » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:52 am

Coffee, have you ever done any Lake Superior Agate hunting in your county? The glaciers push the agates from Lake Superior Southwest and to Minnesota, Wisconsin then down into Iowa and people find some nice ones in Farmers fields.
smugpug

Postby Coffee » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:47 am

Smug, there are agates down at Prairie du Chien, which is the County seat here. Not too far from the Villa Louis, which is practically on the banks of the Mississippi River, there was and maybe still is, a gravel operation, which created large piles of gravel. Once or twice when I was young, I got to poke around in these piles, and did find a few agates. They look pretty much like small potatoes, with eyes and everything- kind of cloudy-looking rocks. Sometimes agates have a side that got polished naturally, and you can see the fine lines. Of course the next step might be to tumble the agates, to bring out their beauty. I don't do this and I don't collect rocks; I tend to leave natural things where they are. If one looks for agates in farmers' fields here, I highly doubt there would be any to find, because this is the "Driftless area."
Coffee

Postby smugpug » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:31 pm

I have heard of the driftless area, some of the rock pickers I know must not live there, because they find some really beautiful agates in Farmers fields. Some may even find them on rooftops of commercial buildings when they are doing repair work when the roof has a layer of gravel on it. There is a woman, Stacy Lung, who wrote a book about the geology of Wisconsin and I think she mentioned the driftless area and her small book
smugpug

Postby Coffee » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:28 pm

In places the last glacier covered, a person might find agates out in the fields. And in or near the Mississippi River, a person might find agates. But the last glacier did not cover the Driftless area, so there aren't granite or other igneous rocks here. Unless you brought decorative boulders in from a landscaper, or something like that. People do move rocks around. Up in the hills here, you find beds of sandstone, limestone, and shale. The soil here is sandy. Up on the ridge tops, I'm not sure what the soils are up there. But there sure aren't agates or igneous river gravels lying around up there, up on the ridges, because the last glacier did not cover these ridges. If you go immediately outside the Driftless, like up by I-90, or over into Minnesota or Iowa, as you say, I could imagine you might find very interesting rocks in the fields.
People who have igneous rocks (chips) on their roofs, maybe tar and gravel roofs, those rocks come from somewhere else.
One other exception I know of is old railroad beds. I think in the beginning days of the railroads, fill was brought in from other areas outside the Driftless area. I've seen rocks in the abandoned railroad bed here that shouldn't be here- rounded hard rocks, dark in color. Those rocks came from somewhere else in a railroad car, I'd bet. Like I said, people move rocks around.
I have seen flint around here, but that can be found close to or in limestone, if you go for a walk up to a cliff in the hillsides here. A limestone cliff. You do not find obsidian here and in the very unlikely case you did find an obsidian tool, such as an arrowhead, some person probably carried it here.
Coffee

Postby smugpug » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:02 pm

Are fossils more predominant in the driftless area? I have heard there is a big ridge of flint in Ohio.
smugpug

Postby Coffee » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:53 pm

I am not into fossils. I can't help you with that question. I know geology classes once in a while scramble around highway cuts, where layers of rock are exposed. Between Madison and Lacrosse, on U.S. Hwy. 14, I have seen students examining rocks in the cuts. Some of that route was glaciated and some was not. From about Richland Center clear to Lacrosse, along U.S. 14, it is quite hilly, and a lot of that stretch of road wasn't covered by the last glacier.
Fossils, you know, are one way geologists determine how old rocks are, unless you have faith everything was created one second ago, or 800 years ago, or pick a number. I'm not making fun of you or your faith, because I don't think that's right. I might let you know I think your thinking is wrong, once in a while.
Coffee

Postby Coffee » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:29 am

FWIW I looked up Stacy Lung. She apparently is a creation-type scientist. Noah's flood. Just so you guys know! Coffee.
Coffee

Return to General Discussion