Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

A good and great man has died

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

A good and great man has died

Postby Bkeepr » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:58 pm

GEN Ray Odierno has died of cancer today. He was only 67. He was a great guy, and an unsurpassed soldier. May he Rest In Peace, and his family be comforted.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/09/obit ... ander.html
Bkeepr

Re: A good and great man has died

Postby Bkeepr » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:41 am

Ray was a senior in my Company at West Point when I was a plebe. My first experience with him was going to his room to deliver laundry--a typical plebe duty--during the vrey first week after "Beast Barracks," which is traditionally a terrible week for plebes. The "head laundry carriers" in my company had not survived this week--meaning they'd quit because of the abuse and hazing--for several years before I got there.

I quietly went in to his room, did my job and tried to get out unscathed. Not so fast, he stopped me and began to question me rapidly about everything from my name to various bits of information that are traditionally required of plebes. He really let me have it: was very good at messing with your head. But after he was apparently satisfied that I was going to be ok, he stopped and asked me if I was "prior Service," meaning if I had come to West Point from the regular Army...often an indicator of somebody with more experience and "coolness under fire." I was not prior Service, and told him so, expecting another blast. But at this point he did something few upperclassman did in my company-- he complimented me in handling pressure well, and told me that I was going to do very well there. And he never screwed with me again. Probably because of him, I was the first "head laundry carrier" in years to make it through A-4's first week.

That's really the bottom line with General Ray Odierno: he'd test you hard, but if you passed you were part of *his* team and he'd take great care of you afterwards. He was demanding and had very high standards of performance, but if you did your job well, and tried to always go the extra mile, you had nothing to fear from him.
Bkeepr

Postby Alias » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:34 pm

I'm doubly sorry for you and for his family. It reads to me as though he was the kind of leader his men would enjoy serving.............gfp
Alias

Postby mowmud » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:06 pm

Seen a really good story about him on the news. Seems he was what true Americans were inspired by and aspired to be.

I think you were lucky to have known him.
mowmud

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:55 pm

mowmud wrote:Seen a really good story about him on the news. Seems he was what true Americans were inspired by and aspired to be.

I think you were lucky to have known him.

You are right, he was a true “All American” kind of guy. And I agree I have been very lucky in having been able to associate with a lot of folks just like him. Not sure how/why I got so lucky, but it is clear to me that I have been.
Bkeepr

Another one today... Re: A good and great man has died

Postby Bkeepr » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:15 pm

And today, yet another one (both good and great): GEN Colin Powell. I won't bore anyone with my Colin Powell story...
Bkeepr

Re: Another one today... Re: A good and great man has died

Postby Alias » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:41 am

Bkeepr wrote:And today, yet another one (both good and great): GEN Colin Powell. I won't bore anyone with my Colin Powell story...

It's okay Tom, go ahead and bore us. We like reading your stories. Especially, when they are about good people such as Gen. Powell.

..............gfp
Alias

Postby mowmud » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:26 pm

He would be probably ashamed to know me, but I would of been , if I had a bucket list... I'd would of liked to check that one off.

He was a good man.

PS... I like stories too. Do tell.
mowmud

Return to General Discussion