Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

About 47 years ago.........

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

About 47 years ago.........

Postby Alias » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Yeah, it was about 47 years ago when we had a lot of oil tankers sitting anchored in the Chesapeake Bay, while motorist waited in long lines at the gas stations. Many stations ran out of gas and diesel and had to close their doors. It was a hokes then and, I'm pretty sure all those container transport ships that are now anchored out in the deep blue are part of another case of pulling the wool over America's eyes.

The other day I heard on the news that it was costing about $2,000.00 for each container from China to the US. But, since they stopped short of their destination, the cost has risen to 10 times as much. Of course, the powers that be are saying the slow-down stems from a lack of drivers to move the containers once they came ashore. Somehow, I find that hard to believe. What say you?

Have a good day................gfp
Alias

Re: About 47 years ago.........

Postby smugpug » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:45 pm

I have heard that there is a shortage of over 60,000 truck drivers. What were they doing before the pandemic? It seems like with such a shortage, that truck drivers wood have more say in the kind of jobs they want, routes they take, and how much they want to work and get paid. Three guys in my small Church, a son-in-law, and my good friend across the street are truck drivers and they are all working. I think too many people in this country found out how nice it is to not work and still make money and now they don't want to work and make money
smugpug

Re: About 47 years ago.........

Postby Red Dave » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:23 pm

There has been a CDL Licensed Driver shortage brewing for several years. It's not an easy life and the pay is not all that attractive. I expect over the road trucks to be an early target for autonomous vehicles when they finally get them perfected.
Red Dave

Return to General Discussion