Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

who would of thought

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

who would of thought

Postby kyle18 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:26 pm

i see all the help wanted signs all over the place and i can`t get a part time job - ever try to fill those on line job intro`s it is near IMPOSSIBLE - well first i should of said that i`m 72 years young but age is just a number right ? - well i`ve been lifting weights since i was 16 - i`m 6ft. 3in. and 250 pounds - oh well maybe i`m destined to stay retired evan if i don`t want to be retired - well we`ll see i hope to get back on here next week with an upside to this story - you`ll take care
kyle18

Re: who would of thought

Postby mowmud » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:26 pm

I really don't see being retired as a detriment, gives you time to work on things that you want to work on. If you have a hobby that you get good at, you can barter your skills. :arrow: I hearsay, that there is lots of openings for residential roofing!

I tilt the scales at 155 lbs, soaking wet. About 6 foot tall. You have size on your side. Most big boys I know are in the timber business.

Got a chainsaw? My buddy Positronium, is 74. That boy can run a skidder.

The secret is that you need the work to come to you. Do what you do, and do it well. Work will find you.
mowmud

Postby smugpug » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:12 pm

Kyle18, the thing is you are probably an excellent worker, would show up all the time, know how to take orders and get a job done. But it seems like businesses almost don't want that oh, they seem to go out of their way to make it hard to get a job if you're older. I don't know if it's because they're worried about lawsuits of some type or offending someone or this or that, but keep plugging away, someone will be wise and see that you can provide a good need for them
smugpug

Postby screamer » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:50 am

I see the complaint about all the wanted signs and not being able to get a job on local community bulleting boards. Businesses are caught in a twist. They want employees that are dependable to show up for the long term. They see retired folks as more likely then many to get sick, have a stroke, take off a week to go to sister Mary"s funeral back east, etc. It is unfair, but statistics and common sense don't always figure into hiring practices. A business owner recently told me he gets lots of applications from people with no work experience despite being 21 yrs old, or no work experience since the shut downs in 2020. That tells him these people are more likely to be looking for a easy ride. They will use whatever excuse to take off and sit home to collect whatever benefits they can. He only employs 12 to 16 people and has lost some to covid. He won't hire anyone that is not vaccinated. as he puts it, to reduce the incidence of people laying in the hospital for six weeks and then coming back not really able to do the job for several more. A local convenience store owner was interviewed and though he pays $17 an hour to start, the number of applicants who can actually add and subtract, make change etc, is abyssmal. The first question on his job questionaire is how many in a dozen. 50% can't get that right. I just got back from some time on the lower Delmarva penninsula. The make up of labor forces at the industries they have is odd for such a rural area. A great many Hispanic businesses and restaurants have opened. Yet the trailer parks and shanty communities are filled with Whites and Blacks. The Garden center and farm help seems mostly Hispanic. Not sure what that says about our future.
screamer

Postby Bkeepr » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:10 pm

This is why us old guys can't get work like that:

Charley, a new retiree-greeter at Wal-Mart, just couldn't seem to get to work on time.

Every day he was 5, 10, 15 minutes late. But he was a good worker, really tidy, clean-shaven, sharp-minded and a real credit to the company and obviously demonstrating their "Older Person Friendly" policies.

One day the boss called him into the office for a talk.

"Charley, I have to tell you, I like your work ethic, you do a bang-up job when you finally get here; but your being late so often is quite bothersome."

"Yes, I know boss, and I am working on it."

"Well good, you are a team player. That's what I like to hear.

Yes sir, I understand your concern and Ill try harder.

Seeming puzzled, the manager went on to comment, It's odd though your coming in late. I know you're retired from the Armed Forces. What did they say to you there if you showed up in the morning so late and so often?"

The old man looked down at the floor, then smiled.

He chuckled quietly, then said with a grin, "They usually saluted and said, Good morning, Admiral, can I get your coffee, sir?” :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bkeepr

Postby Bamabear » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:42 pm

Im thinking about going to work again, beats sitting around broke. But Emily needs me, to fill in when she has no body else.
Bamabear

Postby Alias » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:20 pm

Kyle have you considered being a self employed you-tuber? There, all you have to do is talk about your special interest such as hunting or fishing and build a following from that.

Good luck with what ever you do..........gfp
Alias

Postby Pitch1 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:43 am

Kyle, If you like driving,look for a medical cab company. They usually are looking for drivers.I did it for two years after I retired. We used to refer to its as "driving druggies to doctors", easy work.
All we did was Medicaid no money handling,no general public,just scheduled rides.
In NY I was required to get a "livery"endorsement on my license. A multiple choice test and a few dollars.
I do find that employers do not like retired folks because," you can walk any time cause you got the SS dropping in your account each month"
In other words, you are not desperate to be wholly and fully exploited.
Pitch1

Postby Coffee » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:08 am

Bkeep, there's a lot of truth in that, Admiral, can I get your coffee, sir? I once worked where an Air Force lieutenant colonel, retired, was an executive housekeeper.
The whole idea for my working almost 25 years at one place was to get to retirement. Never is a long time, but I'm never going back to work. It's like graduation when you retire, you never go back to live in the dorms, eat dorm food, write term papers, and watch free movies Friday nights at B-10 Commerce building.
There are all kinds of help wanted signs around here, if you can work in convenience store/ gas stations, dollar generals, country grocery stores with hardware attached. "Blessings on the sheep dog."
Coffee

Postby Red Dave » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:18 am

There are "Help wanted" signs everywhere you look around here. Small companies, large companies, every restaurant and fast food place, anybody who employs skilled or unskilled labor. It shouldn't be hard to get a job if you wanted one. By appearances if you have any marketable skills at all, you ought to be able to pick and choose.

Like Coffee, I retired to be retired, not to work part time. Soon after I retired the last time, I had three different former executives I had worked for that had moved on to other companies contact me about going to work for them, but I declined them all. I really don't want to be tied down to a job. I started working when I was 14 and now I wanted to do what I wanted to do, when I wanted do it, until I didn't want to do it anymore. I worked 4 decades at one place that I really enjoyed, retired because the company was sold, then worked for a consulting firm for a year before I retired for good. It was time. I was ready.

That doesn't mean I sit home on a rocking chair. I seem to be so busy with several volunteer things I do and my own home projects that I don't know when I'd have time to work. I do occasionally give plant tours at the place I worked, but it was only 8 or 10 times a year before the virus, and only two weeks ago gave my first tour in almost two years, so it isn't even part time. I only do it because I enjoy it, if that changes, I won't do it any more.

I might be tempted if the right job comes along, but it would have to be something very special that I enjoyed doing, with people I enjoyed working with and I would have so many conditions of schedule, flexibility etc., that I doubt any such thing will ever come along. That's OK, I don't need a job.

This retirement thing is the best gig I ever had.
Red Dave

Postby Patria » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:22 am

Hope everyone is doing good. I am, and went back to work so I can finish paying off my SS. It so seems I still need a few more credits to be able to collect. A month ago I was employed by a nursing home very close to home which is wonderful as it is an 8 minutes drive down and up the mountain that my car - so far - seem to make without much complain. Among other things the Taurus needs a new transmission but I'm not going to fix that 2006 car. I'm going to try and get a newer one. I was getting sick and tired of spending on tow trucks to be able to get back home so I took one of those road assistance insurances. 8-) :lol:
Patria

Postby kyle18 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:01 pm

well today i started at FOOD LION - great part time job so looking is over -
kyle18

Postby Bkeepr » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:38 am

Wonderful, congratulations Kyle! We don’t have any Food Lions near me here, but I liked them when we lived elsewhere. Good for you, glad the search is over.
Bkeepr

Postby mowmud » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:32 am

Patria... you funny. :lol: Seriously though, I have been thinking about going into the service industry. Outdoor work is winding to a close.

I'd like to work in a hardware store... where there is heat. The local hardware is family run and hasn't had a help wanted sign in the window... ever.

I'd have to travel south to Weedsport. About 9 miles. Take me a bit to learn the store and I'm sure I'd learn about hardware I never knew existed. Once I knew the store, I'd be the go to guy.

It is much better to be running off of pocket change than the bank account. I don't need to to make a whole lot of money anymore.

Congrats Kyle.
mowmud

Postby kyle18 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:26 pm

2 days worked once i learn the store i`ll be able to help people more and probably do other stuff besides stock shelves - but it`s amazing the manager asked me if i had any extra time to come in - they are really helping for worker`s - wish i was 20 years younger
kyle18

Next

Return to General Discussion