Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

I feel...

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

I feel...

Postby mowmud » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:41 pm

... that our breed of folks are getting few and far between.

People nowadays, seem to be lost without all their gadgets. then look at me funny when I walk up with a chainsaw. Maybe I'll make a generator that is powered by chainsaw, then they can charge their crap. We have new folks living up the road, never met them. Maybe I'll bring them some blackberry jam.

My biggest concern is running out of gas. I'm not talking about just running up to the neighbors, I'm not gonna run out of gas, I'm talking about the big picture.
mowmud

Re: I feel...

Postby Bkeepr » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:04 am

I often feel as you describe. My adult kids seem to be straddling the past and future pretty well, though, as are many of their friends.

--> So maybe things are better than we think…older folks have been decrying “modern life” for hundreds of generations.
Last edited by Bkeepr on Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bkeepr

Postby Pitch1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:18 am

You are probably right mud! I am thinking that NADX is the youngest one posting? We are old farts with old ideas,and ways. Some good some not so. I am a mix, I have tossed away a lot of the old and embraced a bit of the new.
I sometimes think that my lifestyle and thoughts are still relevant, and then a spend a few hours with the grands and greats,and my reality comes crashing down like the ruins of an ancient civilization.
Pitch1

Postby Alias » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:39 am

I remember a comic cartoon from bygone years that stated, "I was born 50 years too late". Or, was it 50 years too early? I'm not even sure anymore. Either way, it featured cartoons which compared old ways against new ways of the day.

Now, looking back over my own life I think the old ways were better.......gfp
Alias

Postby smugpug » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:08 pm

I have thought for a long time that most technology was good to a point, that if combined good manual skills and thinking along with some mechanization. Maybe it's my time and age, but I think a Farmall M or H and tractors of that ilk are a good complement to good manual skills. Tractors, like cars of that era, are not too difficult to work on, the average person to do it, and they were a great benefit to a farm or a household.
I think there is also great satisfaction and taking things and combining them into a satisfactory product. But it seems as the Young Generation of today have totally went off the deep end with wanting to be served and everyone sitting in an office chair thinking that everyone else is going to do the hard work. There are always new things to learn, but how much is too much? At what point do we become slaves to the technology we develop?
smugpug

Return to General Discussion