Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

retirement

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

retirement

Postby Bamabear » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:56 am

Got some news yesterday , that changed my retirement thinking, we are getting a promotion from a GS8 to a GS with a good raise in September. So, I will be working at least another year or two maybe 4 till I am 70. I got to thinking about sitting home and doing nothing in winter.. and going down to less money... I might have to take a little time off to have more knee surgery, my left one is getting sorta like the other I had surgery on.. going to the doc Tuesday, we'll see from there. but I feel good for this, staying at work, it is not a hard job.. I sit on the line and off most of the day...
Bamabear

Re: retirement

Postby Doris~GC » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:18 pm

Deb,
If you have no problems at work and it doesn't make you unhappy, go for it.

Go ahead and get your knee done before you retire.

The problem I have, My Doctor I went to became disabled. I went to her for over 30 years. The problem, No one wants to take on new patients that are on Medicare around here. They lose Money taking Medicare patients.

I'm stuck with a Nurse Practiconer. I felt I was in great hands with my old Doc. Not the same with the NP.
Take care!
Doris~GC

Postby mowmud » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:43 pm

In my experience you are not given a chance to retire. You will be worked to the bone until you give up.

I hope you are able to hang in there, just to prove 'them' wrong.

Doris~SC I really wouldn't consider yourself stuck. you got folks coming to check on you. I used to comment over on G's board and thats where I 'know you from'.

I hope both of you are able to get your ducks back in a row.
mowmud

Postby lamar fudd1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:08 pm

I go to a Clinic and have a 'Physician's Assistant' for my Doctor; used to have an M.D. but he moved away. All the Docs here get along and ask each other if they have a problem. They take Medicare and I pay what's left. I'd say half their patients are on Medicare. So far, they've treated and (hopefully) destroyed the Cancers I developed-first skin, then prostrate. Yearly checkups for both, and Medicare pays for a full health checkup once a year. Sure pray your Dr. changes their mind and starts taking the insurance you've been paying into since you began work.
lamar fudd1

Re: retirement- Mowmud

Postby Doris~GC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Mowmud, I have been around here for 20 years. My username has changed a few times. (beyond my control)
I posted a lot more than I do now! I had breast cancer 9-10 years ago. I wasn't on much around that time. I guess I kind of gotten quiet!!!

Do you remember Kathy, her and her husband redone their home. A lot of back breaking work. She went somewhere else. I miss her stories. My mind has gotten a lot more forgetful. There were a lot of other people I liked following but I just can't remember their names.

You take care!!

Doris~GC
Doris~GC

Postby mowmud » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Well, I'm glad to hear you're a survivor.I looked at past posts and seen I got your handel wrong. Doris~GC. Not SC. My mind is slipping too.

Seems as though I remember you from sHan's board too. Remember the twizted one? I remember Kathy too. She was big on old sewing machines. She and Holly stopped posting about the same time.

Time marches on and it don't wait for nobody. Take time to make time. Glad to see you posting.
mowmud

Postby Bamabear » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:34 am

I noticed I forgot to say GS9. we are rated like the military. My brother who retired from the Army ., said that is good .. good money, need to get a new car before retirement... I remember the old ones , well not old... I sure miss them.. I am so glad to see you all here... Doris take care.. my garden is all do except for the okra.. and whew I am tired... canned a lot of stuff... picked all the peppers and green tomatoes and made pepper sauce with green tomatoes. I am so thankful for such a good garden,, I know I at least picked 4-5 bushels of crowder peas, Perfect peas, no worms..
Bamabear

Postby Alias » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Doris~GC wrote:Mowmud, I have been around here for 20 years. My username has changed a few times. (beyond my control)
I posted a lot more than I do now! I had breast cancer 9-10 years ago. I wasn't on much around that time. I guess I kind of gotten quiet!!!

Do you remember Kathy, her and her husband redone their home. A lot of back breaking work. She went somewhere else. I miss her stories. My mind has gotten a lot more forgetful. There were a lot of other people I liked following but I just can't remember their names.

You take care!!

Doris~GC

Doris, I don't post anywhere near as much as I did in the day. So many of the gang just dropped out or moved on to other venues. And, so many simply vanished never to be heard from again. But, it's genuinely good to see you posting from time to time. As it stands, I think you,Deb, Patria and I are the oldest, (longest), K/L'ers still on board...........gfp
Alias

Postby Bkeepr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:48 am

Alias wrote:...As it stands, I think you,Deb, Patria and I are the oldest, (longest), K/L'ers still on board...........gfp

I've been here since Nov 1998, when I moved onto the farm, and I'm pretty sure Salmoneye was on here long before then.
Bkeepr

Postby LeeNJ » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:37 pm

9/4/2009. Gotcha by a day. I wonder if that was some kind of reboot? And I'm not 79 anymore! :o
Oh, you are maybe longer as I can't document being on the old system.
LeeNJ

Postby GeneSC » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Alias wrote:
Doris~GC wrote:Mowmud, I have been around here for 20 years. My username has changed a few times. (beyond my control)

You take care!!

Doris~GC

Doris, I don't post anywhere near as much as I did in the day. So many of the gang just dropped out or moved on to other venues. And, so many simply vanished never to be heard from again. But, it's genuinely good to see you posting from time to time. As it stands, I think you,Deb, Patria and I are the oldest, (longest), K/L'ers still on board...........gfp

Hey George, haven't "hollered" at you in a while, Hope you're doing well.
GeneSC.
GeneSC

Postby Alias » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:22 pm

GeneSC wrote:Hey George, haven't "hollered" at you in a while, Hope you're doing well.
GeneSC.

Gene, as it stands I have about an equal amount of good and bad days. But, I'm not one to complain so, I just pretend the bad ones could be a danged sight worse. (I'm sure you know what I mean).

Anyway, I'm happy to receive your well wishes and I wish the same for you and Molly................gfp
Alias

Return to General Discussion