Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

You know if you don't post we're nowhere

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

You know if you don't post we're nowhere

Postby Lightening Bug » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:00 pm

DO if you want KL to be worth looking at - Join in and be here.

If not. Oh go on your way..

Am I the only one who is thinking this?

Be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: You know if you don't post we're nowhere

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:48 am

I absolutely agree, LB.

But it is true, you cannot push a rope....
Bkeepr

Postby littleguns » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:21 am

Although I just celebrated my sixth anniversary as a KL member, I still feel like kind of a newcomer compared with those who have been here forever. I enjoy reading everyone's posts and try to offer my own thoughts when they seem worth offering. Sometimes I feel like my posts could elicit a "who really cares?" type of reaction, but perhaps they're better than the frequent silence we experience on the site. I just don't want to come across as a know-it-all by commenting too frequently. Maybe I have an inferiority complex. ;)
littleguns

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:56 pm

littleguns wrote:Although I just celebrated my sixth anniversary as a KL member, I still feel like kind of a newcomer compared with those who have been here forever. I enjoy reading everyone's posts and try to offer my own thoughts when they seem worth offering. Sometimes I feel like my posts could elicit a "who really cares?" type of reaction, but perhaps they're better than the frequent silence we experience on the site. I just don't want to come across as a know-it-all by commenting too frequently. Maybe I have an inferiority complex. ;)

littleguns,

I'm really sorry you feel that way, it just should be! Please speak up. LB is right, this place will die if we let it.

Offer your opinion, tell a story, tell a lie, tell a joke, tell me to just shut up, doesn't matter. I mean heck, look at Red Dave, he doesn't know anything about anything, and he's always offering his opinion! :lol:

Tom
PS: Red Dave, you know I'm just yanking your chain! You and I see eye to eye on most stuff, so I figured you could handle some trash talk... :D
Bkeepr

Postby Vaca Roja » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:35 pm

I quit posting because nobody ever responded to my posts or demeaned what I said. As long as long time posters are treated like crap or "special", there is no point in posting.
Vaca Roja

Postby smugpug » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:10 pm

A golfer hooked his tee shot over a hill and onto the next fairway. Walking toward his ball, he saw a man lying on the ground, groaning with pain.

"I'm an attorney," the wincing man said, "and this is going to cost you $5000."

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry," the concerned golfer replied. "But I did yell 'fore'."

"I'll take it," the attorney said.

A lawyer named Strange was shopping for a tombstone. After he had made his selection, the stonecutter asked him what inscription he would like on it.
"Here lies an honest man and a lawyer," responded the lawyer.

"Sorry, but I can't do that," replied the stonecutter. "In this state, it's against the law to bury two people in the same grave. However, I could put ``here lies an honest lawyer''."

"But that won't let people know who it is" protested the lawyer.

"Certainly will," retorted the stonecutter. "people will read it and exclaim, "That's Strange!"
smugpug

Postby lamar fudd1 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:42 am

Vaca Roja wrote:I quit posting because nobody ever responded to my posts or demeaned what I said. As long as long time posters are treated like crap or "special", there is no point in posting.

I read your post and thought 'don't feel like the 'Lone Ranger', lol. I just noticed you're from the Navajo area. Welp, 44 years ago, My First Wife and I were on our Honeymoon. We'd gone through Colorado and were heading to my Aunt and Grandparent's place in Tucson, Arizona. Now, this is hard to believe, but we were on US Highway 666. The Biblical reference wasn't lost on me when miidway between the Colorado border and Gallup, New Mexico, my non-factory electronic ignition decided to fail. It was a simple device-took the place of points and condenser. This was in my '68 Mustang with Iowa plates and I DID have the original set of points and condenser in the trunk. So, along side the road at 6:30 in the evening, I'm unloading all the luggage to get to that set of points. Several pickups filled with genuine American Indians slowed as they passed us and my new Wife was slowly becoming undone by this. Not one stopped, so I went about undoing the bad distributor part and putting in the old point/condenser setup. Now, mind you, I had no feeler gauges OR timing light. Just eyeballed it for gap and got in the car. It started right up. Got to Gallup close to 9:00 (dark) and found a motel. Still have that car AND Wife; wouldn't trade either one of them.
lamar fudd1

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:25 pm

Vaca Roja the last post of yours I remember you said you didn't post because Holly was no longer on KL.

If it was because we weren't responding to you I'm sorry. Hope you consider trying to join us again.

BTW do a search on your name. You'll be surprised at how many posted they missed you. And some commented they thought you had put on good posts they found interesting.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby Coffee » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:50 pm

I didn't remember any Highway 666, so I looked it up, Lamar. There was/ is a Highway 666 in the Four Corners area. It is now U.S. 491. There are some stories about how that stretch of road is haunted. Entertaining stuff. http://www.haunted-places-to-go.com Yes, if you have car trouble, it will be on "The Devil's Highway," for sure.
Coffee

Postby lamar fudd1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:24 am

Coffee wrote:I didn't remember any Highway 666, so I looked it up, Lamar. There was/ is a Highway 666 in the Four Corners area. It is now U.S. 491. There are some stories about how that stretch of road is haunted. Entertaining stuff. http://www.haunted-places-to-go.com Yes, if you have car trouble, it will be on "The Devil's Highway," for sure.

I followed the link you posted and WOW. There is sure some strange stuff went or goes on there. A couple years before I got married, I was on the way home from future wife's home in Perry and just before I got to my turn off, the car died. Just as if you turned the ignition switch off. I walked about a mile to a pay phone and called my buddy that got me to put it in and he came out and said 'try to start it' and it did start! Said he's seen this before and it was known problem with some of the,. Went home and we took the faulty piece out to 'Thermoking' who sold it to me and the parts man had a shoebox almost full of bad ones. So I had an idea it had gone bad. I'm glad neither my new wife nor I knew the history of that road, though.
lamar fudd1

Postby Coffee » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:20 pm

Lamar, before I forget, your paragraph up above about eyeballing in the points gap and timing was in my humble opinion one of the best posts so far this year. You wrote that very well.
I have three old road atlases here. In the oldest one, it does show that road to be number 666. Now I wonder why it was numbered that way? It is supposed to be quite scenic.
One more thing: I didn't even try to post a link (putting in the http, etc.) Later I noticed it had become a link. How did that happen? Spooky!
Coffee

Postby REt » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:28 pm

And I still got a dwell meter and timing light in the garage gathering dust
Ret
REt

Postby Coffee » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:46 pm

If I remember right, you didn't even need a timing light to time the old VW Beetles. You needed a feeler gauge to set the points gap. You had to get the engine at top dead center, which you did using a notch or paint mark on the gen. belt pulley. I don't have to do any of that now and I don't miss that little exercise. Wish I had kept the Compleat Idiot book, though :)
Coffee

Postby REt » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:34 pm

Coffee wrote:If I remember right, you didn't even need a timing light to time the old VW Beetles. You needed a feeler gauge to set the points gap. You had to get the engine at top dead center, which you did using a notch or paint mark on the gen. belt pulley. I don't have to do any of that now and I don't miss that little exercise. Wish I had kept the Compleat Idiot book, though :)

I drove a 66 bug for 8 years when I lived in Ca. The 67 was a lot better cause they went to seal beams remember,,?
Ret
REt

Postby Bamabear » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:20 pm

I know I don't post as much as I should , I sure would miss ya'll a lot if we did not have KL. I have so much on my mind with my son and all, probably will have to travel down and get him, try to find medical help for him.. so had when you don't have health insurance.. but there is a clinic near me that does that... but I am glad ya'll are here, sure do love all of you..
Bamabear

Next

Return to General Discussion