Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

You know if you don't post we're nowhere

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Re: You know if you don't post we're nowhere

Postby Pitch1 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 am

I started posting here,what maybe 15 years ago? I was driven off by conservative politics and the intolerance practiced by several other posters,three in particular.
Oddly I still open the forum everyday to take a look.
The three are still here and are just as disrespectful of opposing views as they ever were.
While the most of you all are conservative and you and I are likely to never agree on certain subjects,you are good people that I would be proud to call friend.
I am very sorry that there is a core of hate nd anger that prevents me and I am sure some others from feeling comfortable here.
Pitch1

Postby Red Dave » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:50 am

Pitch1 wrote:I started posting here,what maybe 15 years ago? I was driven off by conservative politics and the intolerance practiced by several other posters,three in particular.
Oddly I still open the forum everyday to take a look.
The three are still here and are just as disrespectful of opposing views as they ever were.
While the most of you all are conservative and you and I are likely to never agree on certain subjects,you are good people that I would be proud to call friend.
I am very sorry that there is a core of hate nd anger that prevents me and I am sure some others from feeling comfortable here.

You never post except to complain that somebody else is not nice to you. It appears to me that the intolerance is yours, and that the hate, anger and disrespect comes from you and you alone.

If someone posts an opinion that differs from you own, your feelings get hurt.
If someone posts an opinion that differs from mine I disagree, sometimes forcefully, but my feelings don't get hurt. It's what you do when you are a grown up.
Red Dave

Postby Pitch1 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:45 am

And here we go!
Pitch1

Postby Coffee » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:12 am

Maybe this shouldn't be put here, but here goes: maybe everybody knows there are videos on quitting social media. Just search, how to quit social media, or why quit social media. These videos explain why we get frustrated/ lonely/ jealous, etc. when doing social media.
I looked at an old paragraph by Clipper, back in 2004, I think. Lenore and REt were here then and some I didn't know. I didn't arrive until 2007. Clipper said something like discussing politics here does no good and changes nobody's mind.
There's some good in everybody here. If you leave, you kind of toss the baby out with the bathwater.
I'm certain everybody holds back when writing here about politics. It could be a lot more ugly if we didn't. If we don't hold back, we get shown the door, as in, hey guys, take it outside.
Coffee

Postby Alias » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:09 am

littleguns wrote:Although I just celebrated my sixth anniversary as a KL member, I still feel like kind of a newcomer compared with those who have been here forever. I enjoy reading everyone's posts and try to offer my own thoughts when they seem worth offering. Sometimes I feel like my posts could elicit a "who really cares?" type of reaction, but perhaps they're better than the frequent silence we experience on the site. I just don't want to come across as a know-it-all by commenting too frequently. Maybe I have an inferiority complex. ;)

Hey Littleguns, considering the average, I say you've gained "Old timer", status after six years. So, I beg you please, put all your doubts and fears to rest and join the fray. And, post as often as you like. I'll guarantee you won't hear me complaining..............gfp
Alias

Postby Lightening Bug » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:00 pm

Alias I hope Littleguns sees your post and does put posts on whenever he wishes to.

I'm sure I'm not alone in enjoying what he writes.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby littleguns » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:21 pm

Lightening Bug wrote:Alias I hope Littleguns sees your post and does put posts on whenever he wishes to.

I'm sure I'm not alone in enjoying what he writes.

Take care. :D

Yes, I see what you both have said, and I appreciate your encouragement. I have sort of a complex in worrying after the fact about things I write. Sometimes I can probably come across as a smart-azz, but I don't mean to. My sometimes warped sense of humor can be an acquired taste. I know what I think and try to make my points without coming across as a jerk to those who have different views. While I was still gainfully employed, I found that I relied heavily on a faculty colleague on whom I relied as a sounding board when I needed to be a bit more, uh, concise in some of my messages related to topics with which there was not total faculty accord. That is to say, I can get wordy and devolve into overkill in stating my side. Perhaps you've noticed that habit has carried over here on KL. :D :oops:
littleguns

Postby Doris~GC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:28 pm

I have been on this forum for a long time. I've had to change my name. I was on the old forum before we moved over here. I was Koolaide at that time.
I had breast cancer and with all the treatments and Dr. Visits I wasn't keeping up. I tried signing back in one day and messed it up. I just changed my log in name.

I know you guys aren't into knitting and all that stuff, but sometimes it is boring and I'm guilty as everyone else.
I retired and found out I had cancer and went through all that mess. It has been over 9 years now!
My mind is like scrambled eggs that just fell off the plate onto the floor. Maybe not quite that bad, but close.

It's a good thing Ron my better half and I have been married a bit over 50 years. I can look at him when I
forget what I was talking about mid sentence, and he can fill me in. Talk about embarrassing!!! Most people are know that by now and take it with a grain of salt.

I'm alive, and can aggravate with the best of them. The bad thing I'm getting old and that really ticks me off.
I have a great husband and I am very proud of our two kids. A daughter and a son and both Veterans! They both were in for eight years each.
We now have two Vets one is a Teacher for little ones. One is a Sergeant on our city Police force.

Five Grandkids and one Great Granddaughter!!

Three dogs, Our Son's retired Police K-9, a black Lab, and a 17 year old tiny Poodle!
Three cats that are useless as the day is long, but the Momma Cat appeared with 4 kittens wild as March hares
She was so skinny, hubby always said, "He wasn't having any cats inside." We or maybe I should say He, built them a house. Let me take two steps back! We finally had her fixed. She was a stray, in dire need of rest after having 3 litters we knew about and I have no idea how many we didn't know about.

Hubby built a house for them to be warm when they slept. He even insulated it!!!!
At night he would heat up a corn bag, put it in the Cat House, (best name I could think of) It would heat up that little house and it would stay warm all night. They would curl up in there an it was great for them.

So here at home the animals are pretty much in charge. We clean up after them! The police dog sheds like a goat, but I really don't know if goats shed or not.

Well that's about all I know for today. PS The cats are in the house now!
Take care, stay safe, and good thoughts and hugs all around.

Doris~GC
Doris~GC

Postby Coffee » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:19 pm

Say, Doris, I remember the name Koolaide, and I know the feeling of having a mind like scrambled eggs. There's the gnawing feeling or suspicion that the mind lacks the depth and richness it once had.
Correction (not that it matters much): My first post, since I copied it and the replies, was 3-20-08, but on "Yesterday's Tractors," and my handle was Coffee Helps. So many folks come and go on these forums over the years. I was probably lurking on "YT" in 2007. Guys like Nebraska Cowman and Allen in Nebraska (always posting tractor photos) seemed so talented and knowledgeable.
Coffee

Postby Red Dave » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:41 pm

Coffee wrote:Say, Doris, I remember the name Koolaide, and I know the feeling of having a mind like scrambled eggs. There's the gnawing feeling or suspicion that the mind lacks the depth and richness it once had.
Correction (not that it matters much): My first post, since I copied it and the replies, was 3-20-08, but on "Yesterday's Tractors," and my handle was Coffee Helps. So many folks come and go on these forums over the years. I was probably lurking on "YT" in 2007. Guys like Nebraska Cowman and Allen in Nebraska (always posting tractor photos) seemed so talented and knowledgeable.

Just in case you would like to get an update, Howard (Nebraska Cowman) had expanded from YT forums and started his own board back in about 2006. I met Howard in person at the 2007 Red Power Roundup in Bloomsburg. A group of us from his board met up there. His board really slowed down over the past few years, had very little traffic, but there were still a few posts a month, Then around the end of last year, it went down altogether. No notice, nothing. I don't know what happened to him, I hope he is OK.
Red Dave

Postby Coffee » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:26 pm

Yes, I remember looking a few times at Howard's, what was it called, "Cowboard?" He was down-to-earth and had quite a sense of humor. He said, always have time to talk to a YTer. I hope he is OK, too. Thanks for the news, Red Dave.
Coffee

Postby Doris~GC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:15 pm

Hey Coffee, Yes it has been a few years down the ole road. I know a lot of people have passed through the
doors of this forum also.

It is hard to believe Lenore is gone! I know there were others, kind of makes you sad. Things change and
life goes on. You do the best you can, and try to enjoy life to the fullest that you can.

Keep smiling and keep on reading and check'n in. I may not understand some of the banter but trust me
I'll try!!!

Doris~GC
Doris~GC

Postby Coffee » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:52 am

Yes, though I have never met any folks here in real life, y'all seem quite real to me. There's a make-believe element to this forum and a reality side to it, too. Sometimes it is painfully real. I think I could repeat (because I think I remember) many things Lenore said.
Coffee

Previous

Return to General Discussion