Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Ida Is Coming

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Ida Is Coming

Postby Red Dave » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:40 am

Ida has 150 MPH winds and looks like it is heading a little west of New Orleans. It's expected to make landfall later today or this evening. South Louisiana is going to get hit, as is Mississippi, Tennessee and parts of Arkansas and Alabama. We may even see some of the remnants of it up north later in the week.

Red Dave

Re: Ida Is Coming

Postby screamer » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:15 am

Normally August is one of the drier months here. Grass growth slows substantially and lawns need to be mowed less frequently. NOT this year. We have had many cloud bursts, almost daily. Don't get enough dry days in a row to make hay. Second cutting ought to be great, when and if I can't get it in the barn.

I don't like the storms with wind driven rain. We get all kinds of tree damage and road damage. One local road has been closed for 4 days now because of damage caused by a storm a few days ago. In August 2018 we had a terrible late August storm that wiped out many area roads and bridges. Some of those are still not fixed.
screamer

Re: Ida Is Coming

Postby Red Dave » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:52 am

Hard to say what will be left of it if/when it gets to us. Might be just rain and wind, might be nothing.
After coming up across the mid-west, it likely will be greatly diminished and no longer a coherent storm system by the time it gets here, but you never know.

The hurricanes that come up the coast and don't come ashore until they get in the Carolina's are usually the ones that have the most wind left in them when they get here. Agnes came out of the Caribbean and up through Alabama, Georgia and the Carolina's then went back out to sea before it came north back in '72. I don't remember much wind with it, but it sure did dump a lot of rain in central and northern PA. It seemed like it rained itself out over Scranton. It set records that I'm hoping never get broken.

One thing is for sure, the Louisiana coast is going to take the brunt of this one.
Red Dave

Return to General Discussion