Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Keto diet working - 28 pounds off

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Keto diet working - 28 pounds off

Postby screamer » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:10 am

Back on July 4th, Mrs. and I decided it was time to lose some weight and get a little more in shape. A co worker of hers lost 80 pounds on a Keto diet. So we started. She also wanted to start an exercise routine. There is no way that is going to happen. I get plenty of exercise around the farm without needing a machine or going to a gym.

On July 4, I weighed 282 pounds. This morning, I was 254.2 28 pounds in 60 days.

My blood pressure has dropped to good levels. Not even barely high anymore. I can walk to the barn and mail box without wheezing., My pulse rate is still so low the cardiologist is concerned. (upper 40's at rest, 70's when walking)

I have been really good about avoiding sugar and starches. Tuesday's trip to the farmer's market really had me tempted for some melon and corn, but I resisted.

When I first started I went through a few days in which I was light headed and felt weak, but that passed and I feel so much better now. We are still adjusting to living without certain foods. And I have learned to make a few things that are ok without eating salads three times a day. In fact yesterday morning, I had a rather large Mexican omlet. 3 eggs, peppers, onion, taco meat, cheese, and salsa on top. And I still lost weight. Had grilled pork chops, buttered green beans and steamed carrots for dinner last night. Tonight will be salmon grilled over a wood fire in the smoker, zucchini quarters baked in the smoke with the salmon and tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers marinated in Italian dressing. The weird part is I can eat all the cheese, meat and fish I want. All the salad, broccoli, brussel sprouts, fresh green beans I want, but I have to limit the dressing/toppings to low carb. (not low cal) I still mix bacon bits, walnuts, etc in with them. I have gone years between eating avacados and now it is almost one a day.

I have not been counting calories at all. Just carbs. I limit them to 30 grams a day. (There is about 30 grams of carbs in one can or bottle of regular soda)

Never thought I would come across like a health freak. But this strange diet is working for me. If you need to shed a few pounds, consider it. Helps a lot if your other house mates do it too.
screamer

Re: Keto diet working - 28 pounds off

Postby smugpug » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:09 am

Wow, fantastic! What's your weight goal? When you reach that goal will you modify your diet someone from being strictly Keto?
smugpug

Postby Red Dave » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:02 am

Good for you, it's not easy to lose weight at our age, 28 pounds is impressive!
Red Dave

Postby screamer » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:11 pm

smugpug wrote:Wow, fantastic! What's your weight goal? When you reach that goal will you modify your diet someone from being strictly Keto?

In the fall of my Sr year in high school, I weighed 210 pounds. Around Easter, I was visiting my grandmother in Florida and she gave me a hundred dollars which I spent on a surf board. I did not know jack about surfing or beach topography, but I studied and learned. when the beach was good and the tides were right, I would spend 10 or 12 hours on the board in the surf. By Labor day I was down to 160 pounds. I went to a high school foot ball game before I left to college, and nobody recognized me. It was sort of nice. If I could get back under 200 pounds I would be ecstatic. I still have the surf board and would try that again. I figure if I can get down to 215 or 225, I will be in much better health. But right now, every few pounds off is a victory.
screamer

Postby Bamabear » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:20 am

Good for you, had a niece that went on it and she slimmed down really skinny, last time I saw her she was huge again,,,, you really have to stick to it, I went on a Dr. Adkins one time lost 34 lbs... I got on diabetice Trulicity and lost 13 lbs and my AIC went down , but still need to lose about 20 lbs, but I need to work at it better... Trulicity makes you not want to eat much at all...
Bamabear

Postby lamar fudd1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:34 am

I'm on Bydureon-Bcise. It didn't hurt my appetite, but the cost of it does. Went to the Doc yesterday for my A1C and it's 6.6. She NOW says as long as it's under 7, I'm good. A couple years ago, it was 5.9 which is considered 'pre-diabetic'. Like to get back there but I need to loseabout 30 lbs. Speaking of 'LB, where is she? Today's my Birthday and I always looked forward to her acknowledgememt. (73 years)
lamar fudd1

Postby Bamabear » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:56 am

lamar fudd1 wrote:I'm on Bydureon-Bcise. It didn't hurt my appetite, but the cost of it does. Went to the Doc yesterday for my A1C and it's 6.6. She NOW says as long as it's under 7, I'm good. A couple years ago, it was 5.9 which is considered 'pre-diabetic'. Like to get back there but I need to loseabout 30 lbs. Speaking of 'LB, where is she? Today's my Birthday and I always looked forward to her acknowledgememt. (73 years)

Mine was 8.9, but with Trulicity is is in the 7s , so that is still high, I crave something sweet SOOOO bad sometimes, but fight the urge, need to stay off breads, and anything sweet...
Bamabear

Postby screamer » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:07 pm

Gotta brag a little. Down to 247.4. Been a lot of years since I weighed that. Thats just a fraction over 35 pounds lost.
screamer

Postby Patria » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:30 am

Congrats, screamer!
Patria

Return to General Discussion