Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Remains of Ida

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Remains of Ida

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:37 am

We got hit here with the first band of Ida’s remains at 4 am, the intense rain lasted 25 minutes and put 9/10s of an inch in the rain gage. We’re supposed to get rain and some wind and hail all day and some of the night. The ground is already saturated here, as we’ve already gotten 2 months worth of rain in a couple of weeks.

I hope everyone is doing well!
Bkeepr

Re: Remains of Ida

Postby screamer » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:17 am

So far it has been a non-event here. All we have had is a slow gradual soaking shower. The kind you pray for during a drought. Yes, the grass is quite lush for August here, we have had afternoon thunder monsoons almost every day for weeks.

Normally, I would not give a crap, but daughter is expected to fly into town this afternoon after ten days in Covid Country (FL) Don't know if her flight will be cancelled or not. Seems the storm moved a bit further (maybe 100 miles) north than expected by the weather liars yesterday. I took the back hoe and made some preparations for heavy rain on Monday. Seems when you prepare it is least likely to happen.

Haven't seen a local forecast so I don't know what is expected, maybe it will gat far worse. before it is over.
screamer

Postby Red Dave » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:11 am

Started raining here during the night sometime, was raining hard when I got up. Been raining off and on, sometimes hard, all day. Just rain though, no wind so far. Supposed to rain steady the rest of the day until tonight. Then clear and sunny tomorrow.

It may cause some local, small stream flooding, but no major problems. Streams will peak sometime tomorrow.
Red Dave

Postby Red Dave » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:51 am

Just like the weather guessers predicted, the rain stopped overnight and the sun is shining bright today.
Red Dave

Postby screamer » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:37 am

Well it was a non-event for us but a few nearby towns were surrounded by flooded roads and isolated for a while. Yesterday, there was a tornado warning for us. We were allegedly in the sights, but nothing ever happened. No wind here at all. But a nearby area did look like a lot of trees down and wind damage.
screamer

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:25 am

I'm glad y'all made out ok, too. Our county-- Fredneck county, MD-- is still under a flash flood watch here on Thursday morning. And apparently 2 tornadoes touched down east of us, around Annapolis. Here, lots of water rescues, including 10 kids and the driver from a school bus needed to be brought off the bus by boat. But we personally did just fine, I wet-vacuumed about 50 gallons out of the basement but other than that, all is fine.
Bkeepr

Postby Red Dave » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:11 am

We still have flash flood watches out. Streams are expected to peak sometime today as the fields and woods slowly drain into the streams, but the rain is over. The places that have flooding are the same places that always have flooding with a couple inches of rain. Nothing unusual. There were a few tornado watches out and a small one may have touched down in southwestern Chester county, but nothing near here.

It been just about the nicest day possible around here today. Sunny & warm, but not hot, with a gentle breeze and low humidity. It could stay this way for a couple months as far as I'm concerned.
Red Dave

Postby JerryB » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:53 am

Dora came in from the west on us so we’ve received 4” this week. Our annual average is 11” so it’s overly wet here.
JerryB

Postby Patria » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:37 am

I'm so sorry for everyone on Ida's path. Such a devastation. My condolences to all for the lives lost, although without power, many more will loose their battles. So sorry. :(
Patria

Return to General Discussion